Baby-sitting a betta, lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings yet again.

Okay, I've had bettas before, but always in a community aquarium, with filters and gravel and plants and lights and heaters.

Anyway, my grandmother purchased a betta, and has him in a glass vase (not the kind with the plants on the top, just a vase). She has the water level at the widest point. She went on vacation, and all of a sudden, he isn't eating. He'll eat 1 pellet of 'betta bites' a day, and that's it. I brought him up to my house, so I can keep a better eye on him, but what should I do? I tried to feed him flakes, and some brine shrimp...I think he nibbled the shrimp, but the flakes I had to take out. Any suggestions are most welcome!!

bettas can be very picky. from what i have done if they dotn eat, give them some normal food then put 1 bloodworm in, but only after they have eaten the food they are suppose to eat

How does the betta look? Is he blotted or sick looking? Have you changed out the water at all? I'm guessing the vase has no filtration or moving water in it?

maybe moving him into a bigger container for now, it might make it easier to observe him, also has the temp changed rappidly bettas are really prone to changes in water temp. I really suggest moving him into a bigger tank even a tupperwear container would do as long as its bigger than what he has. just a suggestion tho

I've moved him out of the vase into a LARGE jar, just so he has more room to swim. He looks visually okay, his fins are a bit ragged from my grandmother's handling (she just reaches in and catches him, no net), but there isn't any apparent illness.

Megalofyia, no, the vase (and now jar) have no water movement or filtration. I'm tempted to add an airstone for him, but I'm afraid that it would get him used to them, and when she picks him back up, he'll, I dunno, be disappointed that there isn't one.

He's now sitting beside the 40-gallon, so there's so light for him, and I fed him a brine shrimp and he ate it...maybe we're doing a little better...

I heard somewhere that bettas get EXTREMELY stressed when moved. He is probably getting used to his new area and just needs a bit of time to adjust. Id say, next time if your grandma leaaves, and its for a week or less, leave the betta at home. He will be fine without food. OR, if she leaves for longer, have someone come over to feed him.

You mean your grandma just reaches in and scoops him out with her hand?? Holy smokes! 8O Maybe pick up a net for her and explain how hard her method is on a fish.

Agree with Aquafriend...fish shouldn't be handled! 8O Now that the betta is in a larger jar and doing well, I would convince your grandma to take him back in the jar. The larger the space he is in, the better. Small spaces are so hard on bettas, and sometimes the stress contributes to disease. Just because they can live in the little cups in the lfs for awhile doesn't meant that they should be kept in a small vase or bowl. Also, don't add an airstone. Bettas don't like current and that would stress him. Do the best you can at keeping the temperature stable too.

Also remember that water needs to be changed once a week (with dechlorinators added), I typically replace 1 gallon of water per week per betta, if the container is larger than a gallon, then its a partial change of water.

yes Aquafriend, just like that. I feel so bad for him! He's happily eating several pellets throughout the day, and he goes back home tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

Back
Top Bottom