Baby snapper rescue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Way to completely ignore 3 paragraphs and try to justify it. I'm done. You can only be given constructive advice while vehemently ignoring it all for so long.

I've rescued a baby snapper. That's what's being ignored. I do not understand why you are so adamant in your opinion that I am causing this turtle harm. You need to chill, you're being rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've rescued a baby snapper. That's what's being ignored. I do not understand why you are so adamant in your opinion that I am causing this turtle harm. You need to chill, you're being rude.

I'm not being rude, I'm just telling you what you didn't want to hear, that it needs to be let go, ya know, like wild animals are meant to be?

Yes you rescued a baby that surely would've died, I commend that effort! Now its time to let it go while it still has a chance at normal life. I'm done, as long as you don't quote me to disagree again then this is my last post here.

Ok I think we all need to get back on topic. Let's just all calm down. Reygan, I think that you're doing the right thing in trying to save this baby turtle, but some things just aren't meant to be. (in this case keeping a snapper) Now's actually your best bet at releasing it, there are plenty of other smaller ones out. I've caught 3 already this year. Even though you might have grown attached to this animal and you did the right thing of rescuing it, there's a point where you need to let it go. No one's trying to be mean, we're just trying to help and make the animal's life better. I'm not trying to be rude at all, I just think that the turtle should be in the wild, back where it came from.

I agree with Nils. I know you've mentioned fear of people catching the turtle and eating it or shooting it...they aren't going to be doing that with a tiny turtle. However if you wait for another year to release it those odds are going to increase.

There are a ton of baby snapper turtles out there that live straight into adulthood, let this turtle have that opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Show us a video releasing the snapper, and I will meet you in Johnson City TN, one hour from Asheville, and give you my RES to replace it

Hes not being rude, I've followed this thread from start to now and I have read everything anyone has said to you and they have been more than kind and constructive. No one is saying that you did the wrong thing in getting the turtle from the kid and initially keeping it to get it back to health but you are doing the wrong thing in not releasing him early this summer. He NEEDS to experience a sumer in the wild to activate his hunting and hibernation instincts.

Yeah, most folks are really friendly on here, just seemed exotics was getting really irritated with me. Granted I did start the thread wanting to keep Spike for a few years. After some research and listening to advice on here (yes, even exotics) I realized that would be stupid.
It basically boils down to this...I got Spike in Jan., correct me if I'm wrong, but he must have hatched sometime during the previous summer, maybe fall, right? He was in terrible shape when I got him. He has grown some in the last few months I've had him. Here is a pic I took this morning. Do you guys think it's a good idea to release him? I was only going to keep him until next summer so he could have more time to recover. If exotics and everyone else thinks it's a better idea to let him go after seeing the pic, then I will. His small size has me concerned though. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431951251.404856.jpg

Show us a video releasing the snapper, and I will meet you in Johnson City TN, one hour from Asheville, and give you my RES to replace it

Nice gesture. Thanks, but I have a slider that's already outgrowing her tank.

I never meant to be rude reygan, but you're right, I should have chosen my words better and been more polite. I'm very direct and feel like if we were having a face to face conversation I could've conveyed my thoughts in a more appropriate manner.

I think spike will be fine at this size to be released. He seems a little behind in terms of growth. Its ultimately up to you but IMO it would be best to go ahead and let him get into his wild turtle life

I never meant to be rude reygan, but you're right, I should have chosen my words better and been more polite. I'm very direct and feel like if we were having a face to face conversation I could've conveyed my thoughts in a more appropriate manner.

I think spike will be fine at this size to be released. He seems a little behind in terms of growth. Its ultimately up to you but IMO it would be best to go ahead and let him get into his wild turtle life

It's perfectly ok, I appreciate your willingness to hang in there with me on this. I did come across as a bit stubborn.
So, lake or river? I live near the Catawba river that has tons of sliders everywhere. I'm also near Lake James. Or I could hike up somewhere beside a creek in the Pisgah forest and let him go there, but that water is soooooo cold.

Lol saw this coming...

Saw what coming? I'm not familiar with the area you're in but I'd go for the river. I feel like the lake would generate more traffic as far as people going to swim and fish and could result in a larger chance of him getting killed or injured. Since the river has a ton of turtles already the conditions must be right to support turtle life.

Found the perfect place!! It's in an area that is marshy and no fishing is allowed. It's close to the river. He went straight for cover when he was placed on the ground. Here's a pic of the place. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432161596.584521.jpg

Wow that's great! Looks perfect for the little guy.

I know! I have a video of it but it's not that great. It was really difficult to get to the edge, but we managed to get a brief view of him scurrying off. I feel good about this place. I may post the video once I figure out how to do it lol.
This was an interesting experience. I hope the little guy makes it.

I know! I have a video of it but it's not that great. It was really difficult to get to the edge, but we managed to get a brief view of him scurrying off. I feel good about this place. I may post the video once I figure out how to do it lol.
This was an interesting experience. I hope the little guy makes it.

Wow! Awesome job and thank you for doing the right thing and releasing him. I hope he makes it too! Once they get a pretty good size they really have no natural predators and the only real danger to them is cars when crossing the road. (y)

Wow! Awesome job and thank you for doing the right thing and releasing him. I hope he makes it too! Once they get a pretty good size they really have no natural predators and the only real danger to them is cars when crossing the road. (y)

Yeah, that seems the perfect place for a snapper. Not too deep or too much current. I love the fact that it's off limits to people. We had to sneak over the fence. No roads anywhere close either.

Sweet! Good that he's where he really belongs, he'll hopefully live a long and happy life! Good job!

Back
Top Bottom