Back and cycled!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is what i want
a centerpiece fish (the apistos)
a clean up crew (the corys)
a beautiful school at the top parts of the aquarium
a full looking aquarium (fish at all sections)

See the beauty of stocking a tank? They are endless. You'll have to decide for yourself in the end. Here's a "formula" for which many fish will fit.

For a 29, I'd recommend

1. your apistos and no other cichlid or bigger bodied fish.
2. 6-8 schooling fish, all the same species, that do not exceed 2" at fully grown and are larger than the apistos mouths.
3. A school of 4-6 cories or small loaches all of the same species.
4. Maintain a thriving tank and allow it to mature. The really cool stuff can only be observed after the tank is well established and stable.

My taste is reflected in this "recipe", but it'll work. You could also do a standard hodge podge tank of 2 of this and that, but those stop being interesting pretty quickly IMO.

No matter what..... repeated possible stock lists when most everything has been covered has gotten a bit repetitive. I understand the excitement of setting up a tank, but I'd suggest you focus that excitement towards researching the individual fish you like through available web sources versus new posts. Just my 2 cents.

Severum Mama and HN1 are the absolute King and Queen of stocking and compatibility, so listen to them WAY before you listen to me...but what about Danios? I know you said you wanted colorful fish that swam at the top section of your tank. There are plenty of Danio species that would fill that role perfectly.

allaboutfish said:
my lfs only carries zebra danios and glofish

I have Glofish and they're some of my favorite fish. I'm against modified fish for the most part, but if you look into Glofish...it's actually neat how they came to be. Unless I'm missing some basic knowledge, it's a genetic trait where there is no dying, physically modifying an individual or promoting deformation. They were bred for a scientific purpose and it wasn't until later that they realized they'd be popular in the aquarium trade.

I have a mixed shook of Zebras, Leopard and Glofish...and they're the most active, colorful and entertaining fish in my aquarium.

I agree with eco that danios could be great. If you don't want Glofish, then the hi-fin blue or longfin zebras are absolutely gorgeous. When the longfin zebras are happy and grow to adult size, they're splendidly colored and really quite lovely.

ok so ill look for either longfin zebra danios, giant danios, or tiger barbs. what do you think about the tiger barbs will there be a problem? and are the giant danios too big?

Tiger barbs are a semi-aggressive fish and I don't think you want to introduce that into your tank.

would
8-mosquito rasbora
8-longfin zebra danio
6-juli corys
2-cockatoo apistos
work or should i stick to one school? also would zebra danios be ok in a 79 degree aquarium? and lastly would the rasboras get eatin?

would
8-mosquito rasbora
8-longfin zebra danio
6-juli corys
2-cockatoo apistos
work or should i stick to one school? also would zebra danios be ok in a 79 degree aquarium? and lastly would the rasboras get eatin?

Will be eaten. I promise.

Dude, why not stick with some of the larger tetra species? Maybe bleeding hearts and zebra danios as the schooling species instead?

BH's are too big IMO, or will be eventually with proper care. Seriously, stick with smaller schooling fish like the ones that have been suggested many times in this thread.

ok so this im thinking will work
8-longfin zebra danios (top)
8-harlequin rasboras (middle)
6-juli corys(bottom)
2-cockatoo apistos (mainly bottom)
harlequins are 2 inches so too big for the apistos to eat. 8 gives both schools a good number. neither are aggressive. aqadvisor says 104%. so everything seems to be ok to me, but im horrible at stocking so maybe im wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom