Back in the saddle again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwayne.aycock

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, after almost a 10 year lay off I am back to aquariums again. I started my first 20 gallon aquarium in college back in 1984. I learned the ropes like most of us with blissful ignorance and finally a learned scholar by 2001. I am a MAJ in the U.S Army initially coming into the military in 1989. I took a 9 year break in military service from 1991 until 1999. In 1997 I completed my PhD in Clinical Psychology, and came bak onto active duty just after 9-11. With the training and frequent moves required in military service, I simply was not able to make the many moves with Army gear, household goods, a Wife, 3 dogs, 2 cats and and a Parakeet named Steve shortly followed by my now 2 year old daughter...something had to give. As you may have imagined it was my fish hobby.
Well I am on one of my final assignments (6 years before retirement) I have rekindled my hobby.
I found a 75 gallon tank with wet dry filter, stand and lights for $100.00 from a guy who was going the opposite direction. We told stories and shook hands and I was back in the saddle again. I had wood work to do on the stand and after 2 weeks of wood work, the stand looked like new. The tank had previously been a salt tank, so I had lots of work to do to get it up and converted over to fresh water.
That brings me to where I am today. I set my 75 Gal up on 10 September with a 20 gal wet dry (floss, bio balls, 370 GPH power head and air stones in the sump) an Eheim canister pump with 4 stage filtration and 9W UV sterilization at 370 GPH, and finally a power head at 350 GPH pushing through 2 cartridge polishers/ scrubbers (50 microns) to a 36W external UV sterilizer which empties into a spray bar across the top of the tank. I am using LED lights X18 @ 10,000K as well as live plants (Amazon plants, swords, java moss, java fern, frog bit, dwarf lilly and X-mas tree ferns. I am building an Amazon biotype setup. My intended fish are Angles, corey's, neons, danios, hatchets and maybe guppies. My tank has been up and running for a few weeks and the live plants are dong well. As my tank is cycling, I have not added any fish but plan to add then slowly starting with the corey's after my water chemistry levels out ...you know that dreaded cycling.

Prior to now I had been in the hobby for 17 years and was pretty serious into the hobby. I was a fan of Discus and one day hope to get there again. A lot has changes since I have been away especially in the areas of science and equipment...WOW! From certain aspects I feel like I am starting all over again and I guess I am. Back in the day there were no valuable forums like this at your finger tips with so many levels of experience from novice to expert. I have already learned a lot from many of you. There are so many helpful and friendly people out there with so many tips, ideas, war stories...the list goes on and on. I am having fun and glad to be.......
BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN!

Dwayne Aycock

Back
Top Bottom