Backgrounds.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been looking for a nice background for my tank. They seem really limited though. I was thinking about just doing a solid background. Is there any one color that is better for the tank, plants and fish. Say, blue vs. black, or would a background with plants and flowers and such be better? Or does it even matter?

Personally i would say black looks better, especially if you want plants/ colored fish to pop.

I like black, but some people use window frosting as a background (mostly planted tanks) and I think it looks really good.

I like black, but some people use window frosting as a background (mostly planted tanks) and I think it looks really good.

The window frosting does sound pretty cool. Looks like we need some pics to start popping up. I bet some people are rather creative as backgrounds are concerned. I wonder if the blue makes the water look blue-ish...........

Check out the difference it made in my tank. Went from colorful plant background to black and what a difference I love the new look

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130817_184349.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_184349.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20130817_184605.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_184605.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 110
Check out the difference it made in my tank. Went from colorful plant background to black and what a difference I love the new look

This is probably a dumb question and I don't mean to jack this thread, but what's with the crab trap thing? Haha I keep seeing it in your pictures and I don't understand! Is it because he's aggressive? Or because he gets picked on? Oh and nice tank :)

Thanks and its an air pocket kinda like a diving bell. The crabs can go in and out through a hole in the bottom and can be fed inside as well with the feeding tube (optional). They use it all the time it is attached to my air pump for a constant supply of fresh air. They haven't tried to climb out of the tank since I've had it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130817_194424.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_194424.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20130817_194517.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_194517.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20130817_194628.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_194628.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 79
Thanks and its an air pocket kinda like a diving bell. The crabs can go in and out through a hole in the bottom and can be fed inside as well with the feeding tube (optional). They use it all the time it is attached to my air pump for a constant supply of fresh air. They haven't tried to climb out of the tank since I've had it

Wow, thats cool!!!

:cool:

image-1913891637.jpg

This one has a tree stump and some rocks on it. Most of it is blocked by plants tho.

image-909941955.jpg

This one is plan black.

I really like the look of the 3D fake rock foam backgrounds. The downside is that they're pricey and they cover the back so you can't suction cup anything to the back panel. My second choice is a black background since it has a very clean and non-intrusive look, as well as the benefit of helping hide black outflow pipes, spraybars, wave makers, and airline tubing. You want the focus on the fish, not the equipment. Some people paint the back of their tanks, some use laminated backgrounds, some don't use anything at all. I had a bit of a challenge with my 120 gallon because I didn't want to spend a lot on the background, yet the 3D foam rock background was crazy expensive, the laminated sheets in that size were still pricey (and usually don't look that great, Imo), and I didn't want to mess up potential resale value by painting it. So, I came up with a bit of an unusual solution. I covered the back with Plasti Dip, a rubber that can be bought in an aerosol spray can or dipping container. It took a bit of masking and three spray cans, but for $18 I got a solid background that is waterproof and can be easily peeled right back off whenever I want. The best part is that it comes in a variety of colors and can be bought at Lowes for $6 a can. (I've found it also works well for electrical insulating, tool handle grips, and pretty much anything that needs to be waterproofed or protection coated.)

image-1657439059.jpg

I have a bob marley background witch I made from a poster looks pretty cool I think

I just put a blue background in my tank, the wall colour behind my tank is yellow and I didn't like the way it made my water look, lol. I ended up just using some craft paper my daughter had (it was either blue or pink, so I decided on blue) and I really think it makes a difference! Not sure that I will stick with it, but I like it for now

Here is a before and after:

Attachments

• image-1063027316.jpg
    image-1063027316.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 63
  • image-1652465109.jpg
    image-1652465109.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 54
That craft paper looks pretty good. I ended up with the blue/black two sided. I have on the black side right now. I got it on there temporarily so I can flip it later. see which one I like the best.

I love the rocks and the water but the plants look good in my betta tank it all depends what you like

image-2544934884.jpg

Attachments

• image-2656502056.jpg
    image-2656502056.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 43
I am going with a navy blue I really love the look it gives the tank!
here it is with a sheet I used trying to get ideas

here it is with nothing

This one has a lighter blue sheet and a tun of glare but it made the pic kinda look cool!

this one has a bit less glare

Back
Top Bottom