Bacteria Bloom in an established aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kzoofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The day after a 50% water change, my tank is really cloudy and has white stuff accumulating on plants,rocks and wood. The tank is a 29g, medium planted, 2 penguin 300 filters, air stone, and lighly stocked.

I have never had this happen to me before and with all my water parameters normal i dont know what my course of action should be?

Please advise,

Hi kzoofish:

When you did the pwc did you also do any cleaning or maintenance on your filter? Have you changed your feeding regime lately? Does your tap water come from a utility or a well? If a utility, do you happen to know if the utility company has done any maintenance to the pipes or had any problems at the water plant (for example, was there a water main break in your vicinity, or has a "boil water" notice been issued)?

If it is a bacterial bloom, pretty much the only thing you can do is continue with good maintenance practices and wait until it subsides. Trying to use chemicals or antibiotics to control a bloom is usually worse than the bloom itself.

-Yorg

The day after a 50% water change, my tank is really cloudy and has white stuff accumulating on plants,rocks and wood. The tank is a 29g, medium planted, 2 penguin 300 filters, air stone, and lighly stocked.

I have never had this happen to me before and with all my water parameters normal i dont know what my course of action should be?

Please advise,

Didn't touch the filter. The feeding is all automated so that hasn't changed. I get my water from the city, I'll have to check and see if they recently did any maintenance.

I left the tank alone and the water is pretty clear now. All my tests with the api master test kit comes out perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had the same thing happened to me, every time I would change the water, I'd get white stuff all over, in my case I knew it was not bacteria, it was a white dust like stuff. I "think" it was the dechlorinator I was using. Never happened again after switching dechlorinator.

Interesting that sounds more like what's happening to my tank. It's a new bottle of API de-chlorinator, never had an issue with it in the past maybe next water change I'll try a different brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom