Badis or Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CowMoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i'm getting another tank since I made some space on the top of my dresser. It's going to be a 5 gallon that 17 long, 6 wide and I think 8 inches tall. Im wondering wether to get a easy betta or some scarlet badis. I don't need any info on bettas so these questions are for the badis. The tank will have lots of spider wood going down the middle, some anubias, java fern maybe some other easy plant.

How do they act? Sit at the bottom? Swim around?

How many can i keep in the tank?

Are they active like a betta is or am I going to see them only when feeding.

I just thought of another thing (this is an edit). How entertaining are african dwarf frogs? Are they active?

Last edited:
Badis tend to be shy and for the most part will only accept live foods. In a 5g you could do 1M/2F.

No experience with ADFs, sorry.

Both Badis and the frogs are not extremely active. Frogs more so. They tend to sit in the same place for most of the day. Cute little boogers but not the most exciting inhabitants.

Badis move decent enough but they tend to be reclusive. And as already posted, they can be a bit difficult as usually they can be picky eaters. There have been examples of people weaning them off of live food but it's a process for sure.

Honestly if I were you I would look into maybe a lesser kept Betta species (since it seems like you're looking for something a bit different by mentioning Badis).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Definitely some sort of wild type betta! A pair of killifish would work as well.

Definitely some sort of wild type betta! A pair of killifish would work as well.

Oh! Rocket Killis are quite beautiful and perfect size for that tank (if you can find them for sale that is haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom