Ballon Molly stuck to filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there this has never happened to me but the other day I saw my new ballon Molly stuck to the filter and wen I took it off I could see white spots where the filter was sucking. He wasn't stuck long but there's definitely some skin missing. Today it's super white there and he won't swim as much. Fins are fine and able but wondering if he's in pain or something ican do for him??

From what I learned is no healthy fish should ever get stuck to the filter. So hes either stressed or sick. I even have fry that swim pass my intake with no problem. So most likely he was not healthy from the beginning. But hopefully someone else will chime in.

Sent from my phone cuz im too lazy to get on my laptop

From what I learned is no healthy fish should ever get stuck to the filter. So hes either stressed or sick. I even have fry that swim pass my intake with no problem. So most likely he was not healthy from the beginning. But hopefully someone else will chime in.

I believe your right. Most likely stress as he was just bought a few days ago with his mate and a few others. My fry swim by my filter with no issue. I looked and it was starting to go fluffy and white so I took him into my qt tank with some salt but don't think he'll make it ..

I usually noticed if one got stuck and and I save him in time normally the next day hes really stuck and the shish went to shish heaven

my guess is, since the wound got bad so fast your water quality isn't up to par. what size tank. how often and how much water changes? do you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? if so what kind of test kit?

you might try treating him with stress coat and putting him in a dark location to minimize anything that might bother him (turn off the aquarium lights and cover it with a towel or make the room dark). Also test your water and make sure it's optimum for him healing. Unfortunately he might die, but I hope he makes it.

Well unfortunately my lil guy has passed. I did the lights off dark and alone but he just couldn't fight it. And the tank was just due for a cleaning so it was probably a bit high on levels. But last time I checked levels all was good test with water strips.. I've cleaned the tank he was in and all levels are good now..

Im sorry to hear that. But if you can try to buy the API Freshwater master kit from Amazon. Its around 15 bucks and I think you can do over 500 tests and it should accurately tell you what ur levels are. Instead of the strips because they can be not reliable some times. And always use Seachem Prime because that's the staple In water conditioning.

agreed with getting a better test kit. also, ballon mollies are genetically weak and often don't survive long. i bred balloon mollies and after i raised all the fry and my last one died, i decided not to breed fish with that much of a deformity.

agreed with getting a better test kit. also, ballon mollies are genetically weak and often don't survive long. i bred balloon mollies and after i raised all the fry and my last one died, i decided not to breed fish with that much of a deformity.

Will get better testing kit. I've heard it's not the best. I breed mollies all the time this is the first I've had ballon mollies I thought for sure they could breed but they seem very sad to say the least..
I'll just stick with my sailfins then :)

Also a question.. Can Molly's have a sand bottom and slate rocks? Or does sand turn the water bad for them. I know mollies can live through almost anything .. Long story.. But is sand ok?

All my tanks are sand. And I honestly think they love it. They are constantly picking pieces up and cleaning it and then spitting it back out. I have that black diamond sand blasting sand too. My sand is completely inert. So it doesn't do anything to the water since its technically coal slag. My other tank that's Quikrete medium sand I really dont see them sifting through it. But I say go for sand its soo easy to clean!

agreed looks good! sand is also cleaner imo, you just have to siphon the poop off the surface instead of swishing around the gravel. i have sand in nearly all of my tanks

Yes it's way cleaner and sad to say the other black ballon moly stuck to the filter in the hour I was gone :( this one passed. No more balloons for sure to much deformity and unhealthy in them!! So much easier to clean the poop out now. I love sand!! Now in all three of my tanks :)

P.s I've been dealing with local fish stores and the ones in my area are having hard time with there shipment of fishes because its been soo cold here In southern indiana. They beem telling me that the fishes have been coming in with there water temps at 58 degrees. So don't be discouraged if you really like the fish. I'm gonna wait till it warms up for good before I get more fish. Unless u live either far west or down south. If so disregard everything I have said. Lol

Back
Top Bottom