Bamboo shrimp ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's pretty cool! Do you target feed yours? And if you do what do you feed them? Hope you don't mind me asking.

Why would I mind you asking? I don't feed them anything special, they just usually sit near the top in the current and filter feed. Should I be target feeding?

Why would I mind you asking? I don't feed them anything special, they just usually sit near the top in the current and filter feed. Should I be target feeding?

Just thought I'd ask as I know some people do, the only reason I asked as your guy's are doing great so i thought that you did. Thanks

Firstly thanks. My tank is heavily planted and I fee a lot of frozen foods which I've read do really well with the bamboos. (Blood worms and a mix that has brine shrimp cyclops daphnia and watercress)

Firstly thanks. My tank is heavily planted and I fee a lot of frozen foods which I've read do really well with the bamboos. (Blood worms and a mix that has brine shrimp cyclops daphnia and watercress)

Never knew that they ate frozen food, mine must be loving it in my tank as that's all I feed because of my elephant nose! I think i caught mine eating live brine shrimp last night I'm sure I've read they like them too.

I would love to breed/culture brine shrimp but I am not too sure if it pays and stuff. With my current stock I'm not sure how many will actually eat the live brine shrimp and I have a feeling most would just get sucked into the filter

I use that frozen mix. I pre-thaw it an when I pour it in to the tank all the fish go crazy and the shrimp start to fan and eat in hyper mode.

You got such a great deal. Today I went to check out new stock in LFS. And they had ONE bamboo shrimp for 13$!!! I almost bought him. I think if he is still there next week I might! I only worry that he is alone, and won't thrive as well as if he had friends.

By the way, how are they now? And your tanks in general!

By the way, how are they now? And your tanks in general!

They are doing great In my planted 70 gallon. If I would of replied yesterday I would of said the tanks are great. Except the morning I woke up to finds my female GBR floating. Checked y parameters they are perfect (0,0,10) but today is pwc day so ill do a 50% instead of 30%

If you can get them, microworms are a great food for fan shrimps. I also culture green water for them, I get pure japanese chlorella on discs and grow that. And I feed them Golden Pearls, in the 5 - 50 micron size. They have done well on it.

Someone said they are all wild caught. This is no longer the case, they are being captive bred now, even by a few hobbyists. Though it takes 90 days in brackish water for the zoeys to morph to shrimplets, so it is a task to do for a hobbyist.

Do you know if you have males or females ? It is not hard to tell them apart. On males, legs are a bit thicker overall, plus the first pair of walking legs is much thicker than the rear two pairs. Females have thinner legs all the same diameter. Males will grow a large hook behind the main leg joint on that first pair of legs as they age as well, by then it's very clear which are boys and which are girls. By the time my big boy was four inches, his hook was very obvious. Not sure they do anything with it, but I have not yet seen them mating, it may serve a purpose that way, or just be showing off.

You can also feed powdered fish food, if you have nothing else, but I have found they do best with live food or frozen at least twice a week. All man made does not seem to suit them well. I turn off my filter and leave the pump running to circulate food when I give it to them, so they have time to work on it before it is filtered out of the water. I also often put almond leaves in the tank, as they tend to grow large numbers of bacteria, which go into the water column and are eaten by the fan shrimp too.

Bottom feeding shrimp like to pick at the leaves, which I leave 'til they are skeletons and then replace. Oak leaves make a good substitute if almond leaves are not available. Get them when they are dry and brown in the fall and keep them to use all year.

The greenwater I feed seems to do them a lot of good, though it is a wee bit of effort to grow, it's not that bad.

Back
Top Bottom