Barbs and Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all

I will be aquiring some tiger barbs (eventually make my way up to a school of 8 ) once our 44G tank is cycled, and my wife also would like some angels in there.

Can we mix angels and barbs? If so, under which conditions can it be done?

Any information would be much appreciated!

No. The tiger barbs will be aggressive towards the angel(s). It most likely will end in disaster. I've never mixed the 2 so I don't have any first hand experience but I don't intend to aquire any in this area. I'd get fish with smaller fins. I might also try a group of cherry barbs because they are less likely to nip. Also, if you do mix barbs and angels (which is not reccommended) then put angels in first. I always put the more likely attack-ees in before the likely attackers. That way the attack-ees have an advantage (at least at first) because they've settled in already.

I always have in my home aquariums. They both can be fin nippers but the barbs are to fast for the angels and the angels are usually tougher. They work well together. Throw in some cardinals and thats a cool community.

I love Tiger Barbs; I currently have a school of 15 barbs that have managed to make me remove everything but a rainbow shark from the tank. If it swims slower then they do. And they really do get moving when they are happy. It's chomping time. I would look into some kind of fish that don't have long fins.

I still have nightmares about the poor Batta I got when I was new and mixed the two.

So I would say show her some nice gurami or just get more Tiger Barbs. When they get to 3 inches long they look really cool when they start to strut their stuff.

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't put tiger barbs and angels together. Tiger barbs are fast swimming, fin nippers and will most likely nip at your slow moving angels.

The only way it would *maybe* work out, is if you got your angels first, allowed them to get bigger than 3in and THEN introduced your tiger barbs.

I'd also advise against putting them together. Barbs are very unpredictable and especially in small bunches can be extremely bad fin nippers and put a ton of stress on slow moving fish like angels who have long fins. It's not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom