barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxima423

Aquarium Advice Addict
are they really fin nippers in small packs? can someone set the record straight about these little fellas, was thinking of stocking a school of 7-8 gold barbs, but i might stay away from them if they actually are fin nippers, i also plan to add 3-4 corys ( undecided species ) and a betta.... please help!

You should not keep Barbs and a betta. Even though Gold Barbs are pretty docile (they won't kill your fish), especially compared to Tiger Barbs, they may nip. Putting a betta with a barb is like putting a ball of string in front of a cat.

This is because bettas have extremely long fins (like, mega-long), and they are also very slow-swimming. Most barbs swim fast, and all around the tank.

7-8 Gold Barbs is a good number to reduce (and likely eliminate) fin nipping amongst normal species, without extreme fins like the betta. You could likely keep them with other centerpiece fish like an Angelfish, or a cichlid like a ram, krib, or keyhole. Angels are cichlids too, but many think of them without considering that :D

mhmmm thats what i was worrying about, okay, i would take out the betta, how about keeping two species of barbs? would that result in fin nipping as well? i would guess no from your statement about the long fins and all, but worth a ask

No, barbs are pretty cross-compatible. They are all active swimmers. My tank (30g) will be a mix of Tiger Barbs and Gold Barbs. What size is your tank?

i'd get more cories, too. they like big groups. i'd probably do at least 6

yea, i plan on getting more corys, but i need to figure out first on what circumstance are barbs fin nippers =] dont worry! ill get a school of 6 corys soon ^_^ barbs first

oh, well you said you were going to add 3-4, so that's why i said that. you shouldn't have any problem with barbs as long as they are kept in proper shoaling numbers. and, like taylor said, don't keep anything with exceptionally long fins in with them, like the betta. the betta would be lost amongst all of the activity of the barbs anyway. IMO bettas should be kept solitary, or in much calmer, smaller tanks.

oooo woops sorry about that, i meant that was what i was going to put initially, corys for me are going in last =P or should they go in first? that was going to be my next question

nah, you should be fine doing the cories last. they're bottom feeders so would probably be happier in a more 'established' tank anyway

It is best to try and match up fish with similar tempermants. Granted, they all have their own personalities but if you mix peaceful fish with aggressive fish you will have problems. The exception for this seems to be algae eaters/bottom feeders like cories. It seems that nothing messes with cories, plecos, otos, that type of thing. But for other fish it is always best to try and keep them around similar tempermants.

You know, I always have wanted Tiger barbs but I didn't think of them for the tank because they are notorious for fin nipping, as far as I have seen anyways. It seems that they are peaceful as long as you give them plenty of buddies :D

yea, i might just stick to one species of barbs, either gold barb or tiger barrb, a school of 9-12 with 6 corys and 2-3 otos, that should be a well balanced 30g

After having cherry barbs and gold barbs, both with a betta i can tell you from exp that the gold barbs in a group of 5 will NOT touch the betta, cherries however, will destroy your betta

After having cherry barbs and gold barbs, both with a betta i can tell you from exp that the gold barbs in a group of 5 will NOT touch the betta, cherries however, will destroy your betta

Although that was your experience (and it sounds like a good one :D ), you really can't guarantee. Of course fish keeping is a hobby with no guarantees, but honestly your situation sounds unusual. Gold Barbs are known fin nippers, and betta fish are on the extreme end of long-finned. I would strongly recommend against it.

Although that was your experience (and it sounds like a good one :D ), you really can't guarantee. Of course fish keeping is a hobby with no guarantees, but honestly your situation sounds unusual. Gold Barbs are known fin nippers, and betta fish are on the extreme end of long-finned. I would strongly recommend against it.

+1

Ya just can't guarantee anything when it comes to a live animal. Period.

"Oh yah, my dog loves kids and he never bites" said just before the dog bites the kid on the hand.

Live critters are what they are, unpredictable.

People said you can't mix jewel cichlids (africans) with JDs (SA) It's a guaranteed blood bath. Pffft!

I showed 'em.

Got 2 jewels, 2 JDs, 24 giant danios and 20 tiger barbs all coexisting quite happily.

Big packs and the average aggression decreases. They like to tend to themselves more than other fish but when they are bored and home alone...well; cat and new furniture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom