Bare anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elpez

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought this anubia at petsmart, so it said in the sign, and when I got home I noticed it had no roots or rhizome. Will these grow or should I take them back?

image-4235558937.jpg

I just bought this anubia at petsmart, so it said in the sign, and when I got home I noticed it had no roots or rhizome. Will these grow or should I take them back?

I don't have experience with that plant. But I take clippings from my anacharis, bunch them up, and stick them in substrate with root tabs (API). In about 4 days I had roots growing into my sand.

Yes same here, I have no problem with anacharis or red ludwigias. But they have a different root system. I did plant these so I guess I could wait a few days, but not too long. If they melt I can't take them back.

I'd take it back. Rhizomes can grow new leaves, but I am not sure if leaves can grow new rhizomes.

I believe you to be correct 100%..the leaves will not grow individual rhizomes...take it back&ask for an exchange..

Never buy a plant that is supposed to have a rhizome as leaves only. I did that with another plant. I bought what was supposed to be Ranunculus Inundatus off of aquabid.com. The seller sent me 4 leaves with stems but no nodes or rhizomes. It slowly rotted away. Wish I could say this was the only mistake I made when buying plants. Lesson learned. Research any plant before you buy it and make sure seller knows how to propagate it.

I went back to the store today and exchanged it for another one. This time I was looking and selecting the one I wanted, with a nice rhizome. That's what I like about petsmart, at least you can take back plants or fish if they are not ok.

Back
Top Bottom