Bare-bottom tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I wanted to aquascape a fancy goldfish tank with no gravel, but with maybe a centrepiece or a couple of islands with rocks and plants, would enough bacteria be able to grow on the rocks and in the filter to keep the tank cycled?

I think so, yes. You just find fluctuations would happen a lot easier.

Hmm... do you think that the bottom would become gross with waste, or do you think a strong filter would pick it up?

With a goldfish, yes. The bottom would become nasty. I don't think the filter would do it alone :/

In theory it should I guess, but placin it in an area where it's hidden without disturbing the islands and still reaching debris would be the real challenge

Yeah... the reason I ask is because I saw a beautiful fancy goldfish setup like that on here just yesterday. It didn't look like there was any waste on the ground.

Maybe an undergravel filter? I know nothing about gravel-less tanks. I'm not sure if that filter would mess up your plant growth though

I think a UGF would kind of ruin the bare-bottom look. XD

Rosenweiss said:
If I wanted to aquascape a fancy goldfish tank with no gravel, but with maybe a centrepiece or a couple of islands with rocks and plants, would enough bacteria be able to grow on the rocks and in the filter to keep the tank cycled?

I actually have the same plan with my bare-bottom discus breeding tank. A few
"islands" with plants. IMHO I think it will help them feel a little safe. Plus more surface for BB to grow. If you'll go completely bare them most of the BB will be in the filter. I won't worry about places for the BB to grow as long as you have a filter. The only difference that I see is most will be in the filter.

I like the idea once you have it set up can you post a picture to see what It looks like?

bare bottomed tanks are not difficult to keep clean, hence their popularity with breeders. Any build up can be removed with a credit card or scrubby, and vacuumed away during water changes.

BillD said:
bare bottomed tanks are not difficult to keep clean, hence their popularity with breeders. Any build up can be removed with a credit card or scrubby, and vacuumed away during water changes.

And there's the expert :)

A powerhead in a bottom corn ould work. I'd be more worried about spot algae and diatoms that'd turn it into a mess though.

Back
Top Bottom