Basically A Novice!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawyer_Peyton18

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have had a 10 gallon before and a 55 gallon for a while but I eventually killed all the fish. Here I am now 3 years later with a lot of new experience. I have a empty 55 gallon tank that I want to make into a 55 gallon community. I am planning on buying 2 filters and heaters.
I would like to have at least one angelfish and one or two schools of tetras with some bottom dwellers.
Since I'm only 14 I am going with fake plants of should I go real???

I need lots of help thanks!!

?Sawyer?

Sorry about that!

I've got cycling!

1. What kind of filter?
2. Real or fake plants?
3. Water changes?
4. What fish? (At least 1 Angel)

?Sawyer?

1. What kind of filter?
I like canister filters on a tank this size but an inexpensive HOB will work just fine. The Aquaclear 110 is a great quality filter that provides a lot of flow and media flexibility.

2. Real or fake plants?
You could do either. It is more about whether you want to do the work or not. There are some easy low light plants you could do without having to deal with CO2 or exotic lighting. On the other hand, fake plants are low maintenance.

3. Water changes?
Yes, definitely.

4. What fish? (At least 1 Angel)
Lots of options with an angelfish.

My vote would be:
1 - angel
8 - Small corydoras
8-10 rummynose tetras
8-10 lemon tetra's

I like canister filters on a tank this size but an inexpensive HOB will work just fine. The Aquaclear 110 is a great quality filter that provides a lot of flow and media flexibility.

You could do either. It is more about whether you want to do the work or not. There are some easy low light plants you could do without having to deal with CO2 or exotic lighting. On the other hand, fake plants are low maintenance.

Yes, definitely.

Lots of options with an angelfish.

My vote would be:
1 - angel
8 - Small corydoras
8-10 rummynose tetras
8-10 lemon tetra's

I'm going fake plants!! My decor is going to be the plants, a big blue castle, because Harry Potter is AWSOME, and a bridge.

I am going to get 2x AQ 110 but no airstone!

Should I get 1 heater or 2?

Stocking:

1- Angel
8- Black Skirt Tetras
10- Cardinal Tetras
2- Platies
1- Swordtail
3- Otos
6- Cories

And what about a dwarf Gourami???

?Sawyer?

Black skirt tetras may be a little too nippy to be with an angel. Keep an eye on the angel if you do this.

Also, a full grown angel may eat the cardinals and/or the otos.

I would probably do 6 otos in a 55.

I'm going fake plants!! My decor is going to be the plants, a big blue castle, because Harry Potter is AWSOME, and a bridge.

I am going to get 2x AQ 110 but no airstone!

Should I get 1 heater or 2?

Stocking:

1- Angel
8- Black Skirt Tetras
10- Cardinal Tetras
2- Platies
1- Swordtail
3- Otos
6- Cories

And what about a dwarf Gourami???

?Sawyer?

I would do a little more research about the compatibility of skirt tetras and sword tails. Both can be fin nippers. However the school of skirts might keep the nipping amongst each other.

Sent from my iPhone

I have not been succesful with live plants, but people laud their benefits. Perhaps start of with fake plants and when you feel ready, upgrade with real.

Ive seen bothe cardinals and otos eaten by angels, a bristle nose pleco would ne my cleaner of choice, alot pf people have luck with cory cats, slightly bigger cats might also be a choice. Any tetra would need to big enough to not get eaten, no neons.
Plants are great with angels, but maybe too much work if youre really just getting started again?
Swordtails genrally take a different water type. Ive seen peopel keep kuhli loaches with them, if u want somehing with a very differnt shape.

Otos like bigger groups. And cardinal tetras and Otos are right on the line of too small to be with angels (one they get bigger)

Have you looked into barbs? There are some non-nippy barbs that might fare better with angels. Tiger barbs are not one. They are fairly aggressive even though pet stores will say they aren't

Rainbow fish might be a good option too- a lot of people have good luck and a lot have lots of colors

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

New Stocking Plan:

1- Angel
1- Bristle Nose Pleco
6- Larger Sized Cory Cats
2- Platies
10- Cardinal Tetras

?Sawyer?

New Stocking Plan:

1- Angel
1- Bristle Nose Pleco
6- Larger Sized Cory Cats
2- Platies
10- Cardinal Tetras

?Sawyer?

Why not do a pair of angels?

Also, the platies will do best in a 1m to 2f grouping. If it's just 1m to 1f the female usually gets harassed too much by the male.

I think that sounds better than the original plan :) should be good!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom