beach sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aragato

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got some sand from the beach and since I live in hawaii the beaches are clean. I was wondering if it was safe to use it. I want to put it in my tank and I know I'm supposed to clean it.

I'd make sure all the salt is off it, but other than that I have no idea what else you would need to do w/ it 8O

You need to know if that sand has parasites or bacteria living in it. You also need to know if that sand will alter the pH and/or hardness of the aquarium water. Do you know what the sand is composed of?

For bugs, bleach is the thing to use. Use a light dilution of bleach to water--you'll just be able to smell the bleach. Then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse,
rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse....

Rinse in water over and over again. Do this with smaller amounts of sand instead of all the sand for the tank at once.

If you have the ability to spread the beach sand out on a clean tarp or something in the sun for a day or so, to dry it completely out and possibly kill any parasites that might be living in it, that would be good. Then follow Menagerie's advice, and you should be okay. I rinse sand outside at the hose and with the sand in a bucket fill the bucket, allowing the water to spill over the sides, and stir it constantly so that the lighter particles run over the edge, but the sand stays in the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom