Been cycling my tank for 2 and a half months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aphone

Aquarium Advice Activist
and the water is a bit cloudy light green.

Is this a problem?

The green color is likely a result of bacteria growing in your tank. It should not remain cloudy after more than a month. Usually it is cloudy because the gravel isn't heavy enough to settle immediately and with the water filtering it keeps floating in the tank.

Something may be wrong with your filter, and you may want to start over by scrubbing the tank and replacing the carbon filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should rinse you gravel to get any dust of before you put it in the tank

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

it just became cloudy after I changed the water. Guess after I dumped the water it moved the gravel. Perhaps I should just wait a week before putting fish?

Yes I don't recommend adding fish when the water is still cloudy.

Typically it settles within a week. If you have bacteria you need to scrub the gravel and mentioned above.

The green color is likely a result of bacteria growing in your tank. It should not remain cloudy after more than a month. Usually it is cloudy because the gravel isn't heavy enough to settle immediately and with the water filtering it keeps floating in the tank.

Something may be wrong with your filter, and you may want to start over by scrubbing the tank and replacing the carbon filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if I replace the filter, then I cycled the filter for nothing?

You are cycling the entire tank but it seems you have an algae problem and you don't need to keep a tank filtering for 2.5 months. 3 weeks or so is plenty.

Does your tank get a lot of sun

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You are cycling the entire tank but it seems you have an algae problem and you don't need to keep a tank filtering for 2.5 months. 3 weeks or so is plenty.

what if I left the algae there and put fish?

I know everyone is trying to help but I see too many remedies not really knowing what's going on with the tank, unless I missed something?

When the OP says "cycling for two and a half months".....
Is it still cycling?
And if so, why so long?
Parameters?
What type of filter?
How were you cycling?
Why were you changing water and how much if its still cycling?

Im thinking we can all help more if we knew a little more.

I know everyone is trying to help but I see too many remedies not really knowing what's going on with the tank, unless I missed something?

When the OP says "cycling for two and a half months".....
Is it still cycling?
And if so, why so long?
Parameters?
What type of filter?
How were you cycling?
Why were you changing water and how much if its still cycling?

Im thinking we can all help more if we knew a little more.

I was changing the water cause the amonia levels were still high in the wate. Maybe I dropped way too many amonia drops

No, if you water is green its probably because of the sunlight if your tank is getting sunlight from the window... But you need to remember a new tank that is cycling will go through a lot of changes... cloudy water, lots of algae growing in the beginning before it totally clears up.

Ammonia believe it or not plants and algae love it... My plants in my tank grew so well with 8ppm of ammonia vs when my ammonia is at 0 and im using fertlizers

No, if you water is green its probably because of the sunlight if your tank is getting sunlight from the window... But you need to remember a new tank that is cycling will go through a lot of changes... cloudy water, lots of algae growing in the beginning before it totally clears up.

Ammonia believe it or not plants and algae love it... My plants in my tank grew so well with 8ppm of ammonia vs when my ammonia is at 0 and im using fertlizers

did I make a mistake of changing all the water and scattering the gravel and cleaning the tank windows? water is now clearer

Back
Top Bottom