Beggining Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have been thinking about how to stock this plant more and more after reading different threads. Is there a way I could still have a very small school of some nano fish along with the shrimp? :/

So I have been thinking about how to stock this plant more and more after reading different threads. Is there a way I could still have a very small school of some nano fish along with the shrimp? :/
I recently started a 5 gallon Fluval Spec V that I'll be doing RCS in. I have 5 Celestial Pearl Danios in it. The are really small and look great in the tank.

Is 5 a good amount for them? How many RCS are you planning on putting in there?

Is 5 a good amount for them? How many RCS are you planning on putting in there?
Probably could even do a few more of the CPD's since they are so small. I'm not sure yet on how many RCS I'll start with. Not a whole lot as the cheapest I've seen them around here are about $10 each. Probably 3 or 4 and let the colony grow from there.
What about you?

I was hoping for like 6 shrimp and see what happens. However, the RCS I am seeing really don't look all that colorful which is really disappointing. So I am thinking of branching out for something else. Is your aquarium planted?

Another nano fish option could bororas brigittae/chili rasboras you could put a few of those little guys in there

I was hoping for like 6 shrimp and see what happens. However, the RCS I am seeing really don't look all that colorful which is really disappointing. So I am thinking of branching out for something else. Is your aquarium planted?

It's planted with low light plants. 2 different java ferns, two different anubias, some java moss stuck in a hole on the driftwood and two small clipping from water sprite that look like frogbit floating at the water surface.,

Attachments

• image-121106910.jpg
    image-121106910.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 52
I love the look of the Chili Rasboras but unfortunately my LFS doesn't sell them nor do they special order. I love the colorful fish and if I could find a cool fish to contrast and look good with the color of the shrimp that would be awesome. I was think neon or cardinal tetras and blueberry shrimp maybe?

Your tank looks awesome! Mines a little more crowded haha. but I have some small plant in the front that I don't know what it is. Two things of java fern that I'm still trying to figure out and some java moss all over.

I think I just spotted a tiny tiny snail on my Java Moss. Should I leave it in there or take it out?

I think I just spotted a tiny tiny snail on my Java Moss. Should I leave it in there or take it out?
What kind of snail? If it's a Malaysian trumpet snail I would get it out as soon as you can. Those things multiply like crazy. If it's a rams horn I would let it stay. Some people treat them as pest snails but I like the way they look and they can get almost the size of a nickel and look good in the tank. If you end up with to many snails you'll have to get an assassin snail to cut the population down and end up with a bunch of empty snails littering the substrate. I've got that problem right now in my sand bottomed shell dweller tank.

You may just see one snail but in reality there could be 4 or 5 when only two snails are needed to start an infestation. Most aquatic snails have both male and female "abilities." It is also unsightly when you have to scrape the snails off your front glass to see your tank.

I have no idea, but I took it out and put it in to a water bottle with my tanks water in it just in case it turns out to be something cool.

Just spotted another one. Going to take that out and put it in the same bottle.

It is most likely a pond/ bladder snail and they are asexual and can eventually over run you tank

I already found 3 more..... Would any of the small fish mentioned above snack on them by chance?

You really could leave it if you like them. An infestation will only happen if you over feed because most snails breed to fit the amount of food available.

I took them out and put them in a plastic bottle just in case they grow up to be something kinda cool. Any other ideas on stocking?

Back
Top Bottom