Beginner advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickenkev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm new to this hobby, am cycling my first tank 120l (30gal); although I'm interested in Oscars / Discus in the future, and maybe a reef tank eventually, the idea for my first tank is a peaceful 'hardy' freshwater community, with a few live plants. I've done a bit of reading, and I wondered what you thought of this stocklist, comments on size for the tank, make-up, care level etc appreciated:

2 angelfish (ideally both male but ?difficult to sex, as usually only aggressive when paired?)
6 male guppy
1 male dwarf gourami
1 red-tailed shark (I understand usually only aggressive with other red-tails and bottom-feeders)
4 neon tetra
4 cardinal tetra
5 odessa barb

I'm most concerned about overpopulating, I think this seems like a lot, am I right? Help appreciated

Welcome to AA :) I think you would be ok if you take out the angels. You'd be stocked to the max, imo, but it would work. Not sure that I would suggest such a high bioload for a beginner though, as you'll have to be very diligent in water changes, and you'll need a good quality filter rated for at least 50-60g to adequately filter your tank. I think maybe you should go with more of the neons and cardinals though and skip out on the barbs, but thats just my opinion

+1

I have a 29g and 1 angel makes up 50% of my bioload. The dwarf gourami is a timid fish when kept alone and might become stressed with active schoolers. Not to mention they are really susceptible to diease.

I'd also get rid of the angels.

Start slow. Adding a lot of fish at one time can cause a lot of headaches. Start adding the tetras one group at a time, then the guppies, then your shark and gourami with at least a few days between each stocking. It lets your fish get settled in the tank and the bacteria population has time to adjust to the increased bioload.

When all is said and done, you'll be very heavily stocked, even without the angels. I wouldn't attempt that list unless you have a massively oversized filter. I don't think I'd use anything smaller than an AC70.

Ok, thanks folks. I'm really keen on the angelfish, although everyone here has said to lose it from the list. What if ...
single angelfish, plently of time for water adjustment...
then red tailed shark
then 8-10 small schooling fish: tetras or endlers

Does this sound more realistic, or am I still over? I appreciate really need to see what water parameters do when I get the fish in, but still any thoughts apreciated.

Angels will deeply enjoy the neons as snacks. As far as hardy I think you could def. get away with some danios as they are fast enough to avoid the angels and sometimes cruise the bottom out of reach. Now, what I'm about to say will probably freak some out, but I have a friend who has angels with gold barbs. The gold barbs are not know fin nippers when kept in groups of 5 or more (I have had 5 for about a year) so that could be an option, but I would start with the barbs to let them get big enough (about 2-3 in).

If you really want angels the go with all SA fish. 1 angel, 1 ram, 1 keyhole cichlid and some cories, maybe some hatchets for schoolers

Back
Top Bottom