Bent guppy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I noticed the other day that one of my daughters guppies was a little crooked but was swimming fine and eating fine. Last night it was way worse and I sort of expected the worst this morning when I woke up and couldn't find her. When I did a water change and moved stuff around I found her and she was still alive. This is the second one that this has happened to, the first didn't make it. Any ideas what happened? It seems it started right after she gave birth to a couple fry. Could it be complications from that?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393004284.737489.jpg

I guess, was she fine before that? It sounds like it was (?) but do you have water specs and I'm assuming a weekly water change? That's a bit sad.

I guess, was she fine before that? It sounds like it was (?) but do you have water specs and I'm assuming a weekly water change? That's a bit sad.
I noticed right after she had her fry which was a few weeks ago now, that she looked a little thin and gaunt, but so did I right after I had my babies :cool:.
But just in the last week I noticed the severe bend in her spine. I tested the water and here are the perams:
10gallon tank
Temp 76F
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20ppm
ph 7.6

I do weekly or almost bi-weekly water changes. Only guppies in this tank and right now there are only 2 adults and 5 fry that are a few weeks old.

This morning she is still alive, but doesn't look too happy. I'm wondering if there is any hope for recovery or if she should just be euthanized. :(

I had this happen a couple of months ago. The guppy was stressed and held the fry inside her too long. It gave birth and lived for another month before I had to put her down.

I had this happen a couple of months ago. The guppy was stressed and held the fry inside her too long. It gave birth and lived for another month before I had to put her down.

It did seem like she was pregnant FOREVER! But I wasnt sure exactly what the time frame was for her to give birth. Poor fishy! I wonder what had her stressed. hmmm

Thanks for the info.

No problem. Could have been water quality, lack of hiding place or move to breeding net or tank.

These are the top 3 stressers for pregnant fish.

I noticed right after she had her fry which was a few weeks ago now, that she looked a little thin and gaunt, but so did I right after I had my babies :cool:.
But just in the last week I noticed the severe bend in her spine. I tested the water and here are the perams:
10gallon tank
Temp 76F
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20ppm
ph 7.6

I do weekly or almost bi-weekly water changes. Only guppies in this tank and right now there are only 2 adults and 5 fry that are a few weeks old.

This morning she is still alive, but doesn't look too happy. I'm wondering if there is any hope for recovery or if she should just be euthanized. :(

Looks good, odd to get two like that. I think if no improvement I'd put her down.

Back
Top Bottom