Berlin Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammerhead911

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anybody have any personal experiences with these? Can you give me the pros and cons? Any specific brand?

It would be for a 65 gallon FOWLR Thanks.

I converted my wet/dry into a Berlin sump. Ripped those bio balls out, and replaced it with reef rubble. This to me is the best, long-term method and is all natural. Just make sure your rubble is completely submerged though. Other than that, you can make a rubbermaid container, or an old 20 gallon fish tank out of a sump. Many people have even built their own on here for cheap.
I haven't heard any cons to this type of natural filtration yet..

Mike

What about the ones that I see that have big cloth collection bags?

Dosen't the lr rubble hold the nitrates just like the bioballs?

It actually works different than bio balls. Bio balls are made for water trickling, or aeration, so some of the bio balls will get wet, and some will stay dry. Over time, nitrates accumulate and create problems down the road. Since I have replaced the balls with reef rubble, my nitrates have been at an all time low, even with over feeding. LR breaks down the detrius naturally. I only converted my wet/dry because I felt like it was over-priced to pay for a "Berlin sump" which is basically a fancy acrylic sump. You shoud check the DIY section. Some people here have made some impressive sumps.
I'm not sure what the collection bag does overall, but I would imagine you could use it for carbon..mechanical filtration. Someone else may be able to offer more info on the cloth bags though.

Mike

Mike

As far as DIY, that won't happen. I do not have the skills nor the tools Can you recconmend a good brand that I can use and/or convert. I don't mind spending a little money just not millions. 8O

I have seen some sumps at marinedepot.com. I bought my 125G wet/dry off of Ebay for $160 with shipping. This is a simple route for converting to a Berlin since everything is matched, including the overflow and pump. I just used my existing skimmer. If you check Ebay, you can find one there which includes the skimmer.
I'm like you. There are very few things I can DIY, so converting this puppy was the easiest for me. Even though your tank is 65G, I would go with a bigger wet/dry so you will have more sump space. I have a 90G, and opted for the 125G. It also increases filtration at the same time. Check out the links below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4370742832&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4370742832&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Mike

The nitrates are the end result of the nitrification process from the detritus that collects in the bioballs. The LR rubble will trap some detritus but not as the bioballs would. If you use larger pieces of LR you can benefit by the denitrifying bacteria that will build up deep inside the rock. This bacteria is anaerobic so the larger rock is needed to deplete the oxygen from the water as it gets deep into the rock.

yea i probably got the same wet/dry as saltanker off of ebay, pro clear aquatics- www.proclearaquatics.com , and i too am about to change my bio-balls for LRubble. they are quality wet/dry's and very cheap, with a lifetime warranty on any part of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom