Berried RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinnettjosh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this rcs berried or does she just look fat?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412024005.473384.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

currently have the exact same looking shrimp, I'm pretty sure it's berried

From the picture it looks like she still has eggs in the saddle and not berried. I have a few hundred RCS and when berried the white/cream eggs are quite visible on there undersides and the saddle is almost unnoticeable. The shrimp can also be seen to fan the eggs with her graspers making the eggs move a little.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412027023.044984.jpg
If you enlarge the picture you can see a berried female just above the snails shell.

Oh ok thanks. Is that like the beginning of breeding or is it just where they store eggs?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The female stores her unfertilised eggs in the saddle, the light patch seen on her back. Then when she sheds her shell the male does the business and the fertilised eggs are held outside her body underneath until they hatch. Young or threatened females may drop the eggs which are quickly 'recycled' by other shrimp or fish. Don't be disheartened by this as mine did it several times. Last Nov I had 12 shrimp and now I have easily 100+, even with fish sharing the tank (tetras and corys).

Ok cool. Ive just had them about two weeks so i wasnt sure what to expect. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom