Bert's 60g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great. Any critters in there?

I was considering a few shrimp but I think I'll just keep it as is. Will be easier to keep without fish or shrimp(don't have to be as accurate with ferts etc) plus I don't have a lid because it doesn't fit with the hob on the side. Hopefully the algae stays away. Might get a snail or 2 if it gets too bad :)

I was considering a few shrimp but I think I'll just keep it as is. Will be easier to keep without fish or shrimp(don't have to be as accurate with ferts etc) plus I don't have a lid because it doesn't fit with the hob on the side. Hopefully the algae stays away. Might get a snail or 2 if it gets too bad :)

A single ramshorn can make quite a statement. Red/pink or leopard. IMG_1483894548.601140.jpg

Ordered some HC Cuba and some pogo today. Should be there Thursday. Apparently my lighting still hasn't even been posted :s hoping I get them before the end of the week.
Got all the timber for the hood today aswell but I need to wait for the lighting to build the hood to suit.

I'll be dry starting this tank for 4-6 weeks.
Itching to get this tank started.... Hurry up lights!

Ordered some HC Cuba and some pogo today. Should be there Thursday. Apparently my lighting still hasn't even been posted :s hoping I get them before the end of the week.
Got all the timber for the hood today aswell but I need to wait for the lighting to build the hood to suit.

I'll be dry starting this tank for 4-6 weeks.
Itching to get this tank started.... Hurry up lights!

We have to wait another 4-6 weeks? Come on man [emoji23]

We have to wait another 4-6 weeks? Come on man [emoji23]

I know right! I'm actually considering just filling it from the start And just tieing everything down. I'd have to get that new filter for the 90g tho as my fish will have to start in the 30 till I stabilise the co2 and grow the carpet in (otto's will just dig out all the Cuba.)

Considering planting the HC in groups of 2-3 stems too to cover maximum ground so i imagine it would be a full day planting. Also have a heap of crypts/Java fern etc I need to glue to the wood. Also have to waterlog the wood aswell.

After dry starting the nano I've noticed some pretty serious algae now I've flooded it and I'm not sure if I want to start a 60g with algae. That's a lot of work I don't need.

So basically I've got some decisions to make lol
Filled sounds a lot better imo.

Lighting still hasn't arrived but I've finished making the hood. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Picking up my HC and pogo tomorrow and I'll also be putting in another order for some stems. Thinking hygrophila and some ludwigi. Also considering a splash on colour to contrast with the AR mini I'm thinking about using.

I really have no idea where to start with plant placement. It's going to be a long day!

I know right! I'm actually considering just filling it from the start And just tieing everything down. I'd have to get that new filter for the 90g tho as my fish will have to start in the 30 till I stabilise the co2 and grow the carpet in (otto's will just dig out all the Cuba.)

Considering planting the HC in groups of 2-3 stems too to cover maximum ground so i imagine it would be a full day planting. Also have a heap of crypts/Java fern etc I need to glue to the wood. Also have to waterlog the wood aswell.

After dry starting the nano I've noticed some pretty serious algae now I've flooded it and I'm not sure if I want to start a 60g with algae. That's a lot of work I don't need.

So basically I've got some decisions to make lol
Filled sounds a lot better imo.

Lighting still hasn't arrived but I've finished making the hood. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Picking up my HC and pogo tomorrow and I'll also be putting in another order for some stems. Thinking hygrophila and some ludwigi. Also considering a splash on colour to contrast with the AR mini I'm thinking about using.

I really have no idea where to start with plant placement. It's going to be a long day!

Wow sounds like you definitely have your work cut out. I've never looked in to dry start method. I understand the principle but I'm really not sure what good can come from snatching 370ppm there or there abouts co2 from the plants. Especially a carpet but it obviously can work but would definitely expect a reaction.

Are you saying the algae had developed since flooding or just became more noticeable after flooding?

Takes ages to plant small carpets properly but they spread so much more quickly IME.

Wow sounds like you definitely have your work cut out. I've never looked in to dry start method. I understand the principle but I'm really not sure what good can come from snatching 370ppm there or there abouts co2 from the plants. Especially a carpet but it obviously can work but would definitely expect a reaction.

Are you saying the algae had developed since flooding or just became more noticeable after flooding?

Takes ages to plant small carpets properly but they spread so much more quickly IME.

Definitely lots of work to do. Apparently HC transitions really well but I will get a few dead patch's. I was reading up about HC carpets and Barr and most of his mates suggest doing it flooded and just cranking the co2 for a few weeks.

Algae must have always been there but I didn't really notice how bad it was untill the water magnified it. There is also a heap of baby snails that have come in with the HC lol

I want a nice flat carpet so I feel that really small number of stems will be best and as you said, it makes for a much better / faster carpet.

I should just bite the bullet and dip into savings and get that new canister and get things happening... Maybe? Lol

Definitely lots of work to do. Apparently HC transitions really well but I will get a few dead patch's. I was reading up about HC carpets and Barr and most of his mates suggest doing it flooded and just cranking the co2 for a few weeks.

Algae must have always been there but I didn't really notice how bad it was untill the water magnified it. There is also a heap of baby snails that have come in with the HC lol

I want a nice flat carpet so I feel that really small number of stems will be best and as you said, it makes for a much better / faster carpet.

I should just bite the bullet and dip into savings and get that new canister and get things happening... Maybe? Lol

Hmm I wouldn't want to be the one who helps you make that decision. You do what is best for you and you savings [emoji6]

From most sources I have read HC doesn't need as much light as many of us believe but co2 is a must. I've never kept it so I can't say much more.

I'd just flood and let the transition begin.

Hmm I wouldn't want to be the one who helps you make that decision. You do what is best for you and you savings [emoji6]

From most sources I have read HC doesn't need as much light as many of us believe but co2 is a must. I've never kept it so I can't say much more.

I'd just flood and let the transition begin.

Yea I'm leaning more to flooded. I think my other half would kill me if I touched the saving's haha. However I'm in charge of the finances so she wouldn't know unless I told her haha ;)

Although I don't think I have enough plants to "plant heavy" yet so maybe a few more weeks. I'm just getting tired of waiting haha

Decisions decisions.

Edit: I just did it. Got a 2000lh sun sun canister for $82. Should be here next week. Oops!

Yea I'm leaning more to flooded. I think my other half would kill me if I touched the saving's haha. However I'm in charge of the finances so she wouldn't know unless I told her haha ;)

Although I don't think I have enough plants to "plant heavy" yet so maybe a few more weeks. I'm just getting tired of waiting haha

Decisions decisions.

Edit: I just did it. Got a 2000lh sun sun canister for $82. Should be here next week. Oops!

That is so like me. Hahaha. You just can't rest until it's in the cart on in its way. Love it. [emoji23]

That is so like me. Hahaha. You just can't rest until it's in the cart on in its way. Love it. [emoji23]

Haha I'm far too impatient! Just put the hood on the tank, it actually looks pretty good. I'm abit unhappy with how short it looks though. Maybe I should have made the stand a little higher?

Might start water logging the wood today aswell, pull apart the reactor and glue it all together incase it leaks.

Bit annoyed about the lights not being here as they were ment to be posted within 2 days of being paid with 2 days shipping. It's been 12 days so far [emoji17]

Pic of the end result (lights will be mounted to the aluminium top):

http://pho.to/AaRHn

Haha I'm far too impatient! Just put the hood on the tank, it actually looks pretty good. I'm abit unhappy with how short it looks though. Maybe I should have made the stand a little higher?

Might start water logging the wood today aswell, pull apart the reactor and glue it all together incase it leaks.

Bit annoyed about the lights not being here as they were ment to be posted within 2 days of being paid with 2 days shipping. It's been 12 days so far [emoji17]

Very very snazzy. You would expect to pay good money for that. Excellent job. Full system looks brill. [emoji106]

Very very snazzy. You would expect to pay good money for that. Excellent job. Full system looks brill. [emoji106]

Thanks bud [emoji111]the tank itself has only cost me $30 but the hardware isn't over $600 already [emoji15] plants will be another 200 I recon

Look really nice. Bert

So went to my lfs today and picked up my HC. Also got some hygro stems, bacopa and milfoil.

My plan is to move down to the medium to high light rather than the current full high light set up.
I'm hoping bring down the lights to just enough for a healthy HC carpet will keep the algae to a minimum and be much easier.

I don't want algae overtaking my scape if I get a little bit lazy.

Hoping to plant towards the end of next week.

Back
Top Bottom