Bert's 60g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That should work. I've read that HC favor adequate CO2 over lighting (they need both). I have some growing in my no fert/CO2 shrimp tank; it's only at the tops of some manzanita branches just below the surface.
Nice that you have a variety of plants at your LFS.
If you want a smooth, low carpet, it's best to plant singly or in small groups of stems. I took a somewhat lazy approach since I was not doing a DSM. Mine were planted in ~3x3 cm squares tied to SS mesh. I buried them so that just the tips of the stems were showing. However, they are basically little mounds. When they get settled in, runners will form. For some reason it seems that runners point "downhill". I sometimes sprinkle substrate on stems to bury any exposed roots.
I'm ordering curved scissors. I found in my first go around with HC that periodic trimming will reduce yellowing/dead growth underneath and eventual carpet lift.

That should work. I've read that HC favor adequate CO2 over lighting (they need both). I have some growing in my no fert/CO2 shrimp tank; it's only at the tops of some manzanita branches just below the surface.
Nice that you have a variety of plants at your LFS.
If you want a smooth, low carpet, it's best to plant singly or in small groups of stems. I took a somewhat lazy approach since I was not doing a DSM. Mine were planted in ~3x3 cm squares tied to SS mesh. I buried them so that just the tips of the stems were showing. However, they are basically little mounds. When they get settled in, runners will form. For some reason it seems that runners point "downhill". I sometimes sprinkle substrate on stems to bury any exposed roots.
I'm ordering curved scissors. I found in my first go around with HC that periodic trimming will reduce yellowing/dead growth underneath and eventual carpet lift.

Awesome info here fresh! I don't think I'll be dry starting anymore though so hopefully I can manage to keep the stems in singly. Maybe if I go easy with the filters to start with, however I'm going to need some good flow to spread that co2. Have you ever tried stainless mesh over the top to keep it down untill it roots in?

I think that's how fresh did it with his HC so it would stay til the roots grabbed a hold of the substrate

So... My lights came today! I've mounted them into the hood and given them a test run. Really happy with them! I've also got the 2 60cm ones from the 30g that will be mounted to this hood as well.

However! Since actually having some good light in the tank I've noticed that I have scratched the absolute crapper out of the glass when I bleached the inside. I must have picked up a couple of the tiny bits of gravel that was in the bottom of the tank [emoji20] it actually looks really really bad. I'm soo angry at myself!

Here's a few pics anyway: (also that's dirt on the glass not scratch's but you can see a few)

http://pho.to/AaUuD

So I've done a little bit of research and found that bicarb soda and water mixed into a paste might pull the stretches out (there only very light). There were a few other methods like teeth whitening toothpaste and brass cleaner but I think that bicarb is the one to try as it won't matter if a little bit falls onto the scape. The others may cause issues to my plants/fish once I flood it.

Considering planting the Cuba tonight and dry starting it for a week to give it a chance to root in before I flood it. I'm thinking 100% lighting to get it going. (Over 127 par at substrate)

Since I've boiled the driftwood and haven't looked into the tank I've got a few bits with that lovely looking white fuzz all over it. I'll deal with this when I waterlog the wood.

So I've done a little bit of research and found that bicarb soda and water mixed into a paste might pull the stretches out (there only very light). There were a few other methods like teeth whitening toothpaste and brass cleaner but I think that bicarb is the one to try as it won't matter if a little bit falls onto the scape. The others may cause issues to my plants/fish once I flood it.

Considering planting the Cuba tonight and dry starting it for a week to give it a chance to root in before I flood it. I'm thinking 100% lighting to get it going. (Over 127 par at substrate)

Since I've boiled the driftwood and haven't looked into the tank I've got a few bits with that lovely looking white fuzz all over it. I'll deal with this when I waterlog the wood.

Sorry about the scratches bud. My 46 was the same only I didn't do it and didn't check it properly before I bought it. Once planted they won't bother you as much. Let me know how the bicarbonate works out [emoji106]

Scape is looking good. Should look excellent planted.

Sorry about the scratches bud. My 46 was the same only I didn't do it and didn't check it properly before I bought it. Once planted they won't bother you as much. Let me know how the bicarbonate works out [emoji106]

Scape is looking good. Should look excellent planted.

Yea Im hoping it works. My 90g has some really bad scratches and you can't notice them too much but I really wanted this one to be clear as clear. They are only really light ones(can't feel them with my fingernail) so I'm hoping abit of a buff will bring majority out. I'm not holding my breath tho [emoji20]

Yea Im hoping it works. My 90g has some really bad scratches and you can't notice them too much but I really wanted this one to be clear as clear. They are only really light ones(can't feel them with my fingernail) so I'm hoping abit of a buff will bring majority out. I'm not holding my breath tho [emoji20]

You might be ok. Mine where that bad algae would grow in them.

You might be ok. Mine where that bad algae would grow in them.

Had a go at getting them out, failed. Haha I think they will disappear when filled as when I wet the glass you can't see them.

Fingers crossed!

Good luck with the scratches.
Growing HC emersed was more of an accident last spring in my case. The Glosso was taking over the tank and I had to put the remnants of HC somewhere. So I dropped them onto wet soil and placed it next to a window. It was great for increasing plant volume. Took a few months though.
Trouble with this method is transplanting. The steel mesh and fishing line merely act as a weight to hold it down. Partially burying the mesh helps as the snails tend to lift it as they dig. IMO not as good as individually planting small groups but I was not committed in doing a DSM in this tank.
1tQ9GJEh.jpg

O ok. Nice
For that I would use a little preoxide to get rid of that mold I Have a garden in my backyard.

O ok. Nice
For that I would use a little preoxide to get rid of that mold I Have a garden in my backyard.

HC certainly isn't a garden plant. I'm actually going to strip my nano and wouldn't suggest a dry start to be honest. I've got green hair algae green dust algae and GSA in there after only 4-5 days of being filled.

I let it grow for 6-7 weeks before I filled it. I would say things would be fine after 1-2 weeks but for extended periods it's not s good idea as the water must become stagnate and start to go bad.

It'd say it's a good idea to give your plants a chance to root before you fill it though. My carpet didn't lift at all. Even after 1-2 weeks you could see some pretty decent roots on the HC. Maybe 1 cm long?

Deconstructed the nano that I dry started today, it was over ruled by algae within 4-5 days of filling. We are talking staghorn, GSA, green dust, green hair. I dosed PPS pro for high light and also double dosed excel from the day I filled it. Things may have settled over time but I really couldn't be bothered fixing it lol. I decided to steal all the HC from it for my 60g. Gave it all a 30 second bleach and water bath and now it's on the window sil in direct sun sitting in over dosed dechlorinated water. I'll leave it there for 24 hours and see how it goes.

Considering planting the HC on Sunday. See what happens.

Deconstructed the nano that I dry started today, it was over ruled by algae within 4-5 days of filling. We are talking staghorn, GSA, green dust, green hair. I dosed PPS pro for high light and also double dosed excel from the day I filled it. Things may have settled over time but I really couldn't be bothered fixing it lol. I decided to steal all the HC from it for my 60g. Gave it all a 30 second bleach and water bath and now it's on the window sil in direct sun sitting in over dosed dechlorinated water. I'll leave it there for 24 hours and see how it goes.

Considering planting the HC on Sunday. See what happens.

PPS-Pro and got all types of algae with maximum co2? [emoji23] we just can't win.

Back
Top Bottom