Bert's ADA cube garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a pic of the new buce [emoji106] sorry for the bad photos lol it's hard to get a good shot of them

http://pho.to/AlP8J

Excellent! Expect a little bit of a die-off at first. Buce is similar to Cryptocoryne in terms of transitioning to different environments. As long as the rhizome stays healthy, you should have no issues!

Excellent! Expect a little bit of a die-off at first. Buce is similar to Cryptocoryne in terms of transitioning to different environments. As long as the rhizome stays healthy, you should have no issues!

Ah yes I have heard they can melt abit. The tanks actually looking pretty good considering the massive ammonia the soil gives off at the start. I guess the water changes do the trick lol

Most of the Java is looking pretty ruff but I think it will come back in time. Bolbitis already has 3 new shoots [emoji106]

There's that lovely ADA. Cool stand! Following :)

Thanks Brian [emoji106] I made the stand from old timber pallets and abit of timber stain [emoji6] free stuff is the best stuff!

Can't beat an Ada tank. Now I've owned one I'll never buy another rimmed tank lol

Co2 is working a treat now, replaced the seal under the bubble counter and that seems to have fixed the problem. Sitting at 2 bps lime green all day [emoji106]

Monte Carlos really starting to spread and thicken up.
gave the stems over the back a good trim and they are looking nice and thick.
Trimmed the hygro pinnifida right back to encourage it to bush up.

Overall plant health is looking great [emoji106] minimal algae, abit of GSA around and some BBA on the top of the bolbitis but that's turning white so should be gone in no time.

Starting to look good! Oh and the shrimps are really happy, check out this big mumma!

http://pho.to/Am0oF

I like the bolbitis - seems to be growing more straight up? (mine is going sideways more than up I swear).

Grabbed some more buce at auction this week. Planning a trim this weekend to squeeze them in.

I like the bolbitis - seems to be growing more straight up? (mine is going sideways more than up I swear).

Grabbed some more buce at auction this week. Planning a trim this weekend to squeeze them in.

I think I've got lucky with it to be honest lol the new growth at the back was heading into the stems so I bent it forward and lent it against the diftwood lol but the 3 new branches coming in are all looking good! Center branch is looking ruff and that's the one with the BBA so I might cut it off (only one that didn't melt when I moved the plant)

Oh buce! I'd be interest in them if you ever have too much! Great plant!

Latest FTS is looking great. What's your fert dosing regimen? I use PPS-Pro and due to being pretty lean in comparison to EI, I used to get a lot of GSA too. Then I doubled my KH2PO4 in my mix, which seem to have solved the problem.

Latest FTS is looking great. What's your fert dosing regimen? I use PPS-Pro and due to being pretty lean in comparison to EI, I used to get a lot of GSA too. Then I doubled my KH2PO4 in my mix, which seem to have solved the problem.

Dosing PPS pro ;) I also used to dose EI but had some major issues with it (basically lost 2 tanks worth of plants). Great point about the kh2po4! I'm almost at the end of my macro bottle so I'll try that for the next batch and see if it improves [emoji106]

Now to get rid of these dam snails!

Any ideas why? I was assuming the extra phosphate?

Any ideas why? I was assuming the extra phosphate?

It seems like GSA is more prevalent in medium/high light tanks. In my low light tank, I only have 1-2 ppm of phosphate and there are no issues with GSA. When I was running high light, I had to dose 5 ppm of phosphate to keep the GSA away (doubling the amount of phosphate in the PPS-Pro formula).

It seems like GSA is more prevalent in medium/high light tanks. In my low light tank, I only have 1-2 ppm of phosphate and there are no issues with GSA. When I was running high light, I had to dose 5 ppm of phosphate to keep the GSA away (doubling the amount of phosphate in the PPS-Pro formula).

It's true, I used to double dose EI phosphate and it would keep the GSA away. I've never worried about it too much though to be honest. It generally only forms on the glass and keeps off the plants but in this tank I've got abit on the anubias nana and some crypt parva (slow growers in full light) so I might need to look into doubling it untill they get shaded from the other plants once they grow out.

I removed all the hydrocotyle Japan in the back left as its just too hard to control lol I've planted some more mc in its place to have a nice green carpet all the way around the island in the middle [emoji106]

Yes, just curious. I find running around 2ppm phosphate tends to reduce it (off glass and anubias) - tend to get it with new bulbs or big tank change or new plants. I should cut phosphate down again to see what happens but got some new buce that needs all the help it can get.

I've noticed an increase in GSA when I change the lighting schedule or add more light. I triple dose the phosphate in my macro mix.
At the moment GSA will appear over time (a few weeks) on the front glass pane and I take care of it with the algae magnet. My current issue is BBA on the hardscape.

Growing in nicely, heaps of BBA on the driftwood for some reason so I've been zapping with excel. The excel seems to be sorting out the snails aswell!

Pics with lily the photo bomber, http://pho.to/AmWuK

Snails don't like Excel (or glut). Or H2O2. I try to nudge them off of the stones prior to nuking it with any of the above.
That tank is coming along nicely. How often are you trimming it (including the carpet)?

Snails don't like Excel (or glut). Or H2O2. I try to nudge them off of the stones prior to nuking it with any of the above.
That tank is coming along nicely. How often are you trimming it (including the carpet)?

Haven't trimmed the carpet yet. It's almost ready for the first trim tho ;) I've only had to trim the rotala hra and the hygro pinnifida so far so it's been very painless :)

So I've been hungover for maintenance day the last 5 weeks so I've been really slack on cleaning the filter etc.

I've not got green water (seems all to familiar) so I'll be cleaning the filter and putting the uv in today [emoji106]

I'll get some progress pics when the waters all clear. Tanks almost finished [emoji16]

4 weeks untill my 3 week holiday, can't wait for my return to algae central! Yay! [emoji36]

Back
Top Bottom