Bert's ADA cube garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Green water is almost gone [emoji106]

growth rate of the MC is crazy, I trimmed it last weekend and it's already thickening up.

Algae has completely cleared up, no more BBA [emoji16] I think I'll be ready for a rescape when i get back from my holiday (about 8 weeks time) as the tank will be fully grown in.

Added some lobelia cardinalis in the back left and my cherrys have finally given birth so I have baby shrimp EVERYWHERE!

Tanks looking nice, here it is today (excuse the steriliser) http://pho.to/An4S4

Good recovery there! Jungle island on a sea of green.

Thanks fresh! Yea the carpets my favourite part lol I really enjoy watching the carpet thicken and spread [emoji106] all plants are thriving apart from the hygro pinnifida? Very strange as it normally grows like a weed [emoji23]

How's the bolbitis (I think) going in there? Everything looks good.

Started off terrible as it adjusted lol collected a heap of GSA and BBA but the new growth came in really fast and now it's light green almost translucent. Looks great! It would have to be one of my favourite plants I recon [emoji106]

Well I came home to a ball of plants! BGA is gone! I was worried I would return to a tank ruined by BGA but it seems to have left by itself.

Parents ended up with an airlock in the filter after doing a water change and couldn’t figure out how to fix it. Filter was left plugged in and not working for a week. I thought the motor would be burnt out but I fixed the airlock and replugged it in and it’s working fine! Lucky!

Due to the filter not running the co2 would have been minimal if any at all, sparking a massive outbreak of BBA on the wood. None has settled on the plants.

The Monte Carlo is 2 inch’s thick in some spots and my buce has flowered! Haven’t had time to trim anything down so here’s what the chaos looks like!
https://ooo.0o0.ooo/2017/10/17/59e51775b5e66.jpg https://ooo.0o0.ooo/2017/10/17/59e51771f0dca.jpg
https://ooo.0o0.ooo/2017/10/17/59e51779024b5.jpg
https://ooo.0o0.ooo/2017/10/17/59e5176f07432.jpg

Just like the 60g this tank will be getting a rescape. This scapes gone past it’s prime growth and is just looking like a mess. Planning a rock dominant scape using lava rock or seyiu stone. Small plants will be used such as anubias nana, lobelia cardinals (mini), Monte Carlo, hairgrass, fissidon Fontanus. Maybe some stems over the very back if I have room ;)

Disaster disaster disaster. That’s the only word to discribe yesterday’s rescape. I spent 7 hours draining, scraping, catching shrimp etc etc.

So originally I had a higher rise on the right side of the tank. I used polystyrene to make the rise and loaded rocks on top and filled it all with substrate. Put in a nice sandy path. Started filling the tank and it was almost full and BOOM the poly floated and threw rocks and substrate all over the tank with a massive cloud of black substrate.

This was at 9pm after a long day. Could say I was absolutely gutted. I thought the amount of rocks would be enough to hold it down but I was wrong. I guess u live and learn!

So I sent another 3 hours cleaning up the massive mess and fishing plants out of the substrate that buried everything. Replanted everything but it’s no where near as good as the first scape I had [emoji17] a lot less height and plant placement isn’t as good.

Still need to add abit of substrate here and there and redo the sandy path. May even replant a few plants etc

Overall very disappointed.
I’ll post some pics when the lights come on in an hour or so [emoji106]

That is quite a transformation and a lot of MC!
If only polystyrene weren’t so buoyant. Sounds like it was quite a mess. For elevation/void filler I think I will use sections of pantyhose filled with gravel.
Can’t wait to see this grow out. Nice job.

Flowering buce! Nicely done.

Wow - such a huge amount of work. I’d imagine the back would be a bit sore after that. I like it - bit of a natural look and I liked the last one I saw grown in.

I’m actually impressed you did it so quick. I find hours just seem to vanish and I’m just plonking plants anywhere they fit.

I could never do this. My OCD would drive me insane the minute I saw black sand granules on the light.

Thanks guys [emoji106] I’m a little disappointed as the light could have been a bit higher but I think I can fix it with plant height once it grows in ;)

Haha you shouldn’t see much sand once it grows in T ;) I’ll just trim back a thin path [emoji106]

I’ve gone with HC Cuba this time to try it out instead of MC. I’ll get a plant list up later today [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright so here’s a plant list,
Buce chainsaw
Buce something? ([emoji23])
Lobelia cardinal (small form)
Pogostemon helfari
Anubias nana
Rotala sp
Rotala Hra
Fissiden fontanus
Crypt parva
Hc Cuba

Kept it nice and simple this time [emoji106] looking forward to the grow in.

Wah?! The old scape is gone.

What are you planning next?

Think I’ll let this one grow out for a while and prepare a rain forest scape for the next one. Lots of straight driftwood with roots etc and use the lava rock as a base. Just need to find the right wood etc to do it.

I’ve had Christmas moss and fissiden growing out for about 2 months and have a crazy amount of it. I’ve also got heaps of anubias nana petite so I think I’ll go mainly slow growers and moss for the next one. Get some buce in there too [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom