Best algae eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhetor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I currently have an Otto and 2 flying fox as my algae eating crew. I at one time had a chinese algae eater, who was an ALGAE EATING MACHINE until he grew bigger, then he was just angry. He ended up in my 125g non planted tank. There's enough algae in there for him but he prefers the other food. :roll:

What are your guys' favorite algae eating fish?

I like the otto i have but i barely ever catch him eating. He mainly just sits around like a lazy bum. The flying fox's just chase eachother around!

The plecos i've had in the past never really ate any algae, they were more like bottom feeding catfish..?

I'm still looking for SAE in Miami Florida. Since I couldn't find any, I just removed every piece of decorations with BBA and I currently have them soaking over night in a bucket of about 1G of water and about two cap fulls of bleach. Tomorrow I will remove, scrub them, and rinse then in tap water and leave them soaking in dechlorinated water for a couple more hours. Tomorrow I'll also do the same to the plants that aren't to deeply rooted and soak them for 3 minutes.

pleco's are the algae eating star, tbh. It's just that some plecos eat driftwood and such, do your research.

B-nose plecos do a decent job. No one fish eats every kind of algae. No animal will clear all the algae from a tank that is out of balance.

Nerite snails and Nerite limpets are the best algae eaters IMO.

I don't really have a big algae problem, but i really love watching these guys on top of the leaves of the plants busily at work. I am considering getting a few more ottos so they all feel more comfortable.

Are SAE's really that good? I've had a run in with BBA before, wasn't fun. They don't actually eat BBA do they? If so, i would definitely ask my LFS to order one so that I won't have to deal with a BBA disaster ever again!

Thanks for the input guys!

I think a pleco will get a bit too big for my planted tank though. He would probably end up in the 125 non planted after a while, and wouldn't have as much food.

Bristlenose plecs only get 4-6". That's why they are so heavily recommended. Just make sure there's some driftwood in there for him to rasp on.

Hmm... I do have some driftwood in there that i'm sure he'd love.

Alright guys, you've convinced me. I just need to find one now!

I think i'll get an SAE and a bristlenose. That should complete my tank pretty well.

The Local LFS will happily special order fish for me with no additional charge, as long as their supplier has them. Hopefully i can get one.

My common pleco in the big 125g tank is a real bull! I have a few large cichlids in there, and they won't even try messing with the pleco!

I suggest an albino bristle nose pleco. I got two 2 weeks ago but 1 passed away. They are pretty awesome fish and yeah SAE are also great but hard to find. I've been looking for one for the past month now with no luck at all. Btw, make sure you get the TRUE SAE or else you'll have problems with fake aggressive SAE.
Here's some links with Info and how to tell a true SAE from a false SAE.

Since you already have 2 flyig fox, the SAE might not be so good in combo with those guys. The SAE would probably get the short end of the agro stick.

i got 5 ottos today and there busy little bees im telling ya my pleco hes old and hes a lazy bum ottos seem like there going to do a good job and they are pretty cool to watch

maybe my one otto is lonely or something.

He does eat but most of the time just sits around like a bum.

My otos seem to do a great job--I'm actually supplementing because I worry there's not enough algae for them. That said. I'd had two, one died and the remaining one definitely was less active until I got him a friend again. As folks say, they're definitely happier in groups!

Back
Top Bottom