Best Biological Filter Media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all.... I have a fluval 306 running on my tank and I'm thinking about removing the carbon section. The filter has been running for about 6 to 7 months, so I'm sure, from what I have read, it's run it's course. Is there a good filter media I can replace it with? I see theres rings and balls and other types... Will I see any added benefit by adding more bio filter media? Thanks in advance!

In my fluval, I only run biomax, except in the very first chamber I filled a media bag with some plain old pillow batting.

In my 206 I have as follows.

Bottom cartridge - sponge and biomax
Middle cartridge - biomax and polishing pad
Top cartridge - biomax and Phosphate remover

No need for carbon unless you suffer bad smells or medicate your tank.

Phosphate remover I only use due to high levels of phosphates in my tap water.

Jon

Ok awesome, thanks for the replies! I may pick up some Biomax from petsmart today. Is there any added benefit to doing so? Or is it just another spot for bacteria to colonize on?

The store was sold out of biomax so I just purchased it online. I'm going to replace the carbon in the first cartridge with the added biomax... Sound about right?

Eheim mech lower chamber next Eheim Biomech, last chamber Seachem Matrix half filled Eheim Floss Pad with Seachem Purigen on top - Crystal clear water, fish look like they are floating in air.

Borderlesscott said:
Eheim mech lower chamber next Eheim Biomech, last chamber Seachem Matrix half filled Eheim Floss Pad with Seachem Purigen on top - Crystal clear water, fish look like they are floating in air.

I've heard good things about Purigen, I may look into that!

Nothing but blue sponge material after the prefilter. Works great, almost never wears out.

My canister has
Pot scrubbies and Sponges- bottom
Pot scrubbies- middle
Filter floss - top

Back
Top Bottom