Best bottom feeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I have a 40 gallon breeder with live plants so snails are out of the picture. I was wondering what are some good bottom feeders that could do well at 76 degrees?

My current stock:

5 serpae tetras
1 green severum
1 electric blue ram
1 kribensis
1 male jack dempsey (holding for a friend until his power is back on)

I have Moopani drift wood and some rocks and a rock cave to hide in. Our Ph is 7.4, ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrate 20~ ppm, Nitrite 0.

Otocinclus. Small bioload, small size, cute, and great algae eaters.

I would get rid of the Jack Dempsey first. As an owner of one, he eats anything his mouth can fit. Oto would be a tasty snack if he found them because of their small size.

I don't know if the Severum or Kribensis have the same behavior with smaller fish I've never owned either.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The jack demp we are holding for a friend and I'm looking at otos do they do well in groups?

I have snails and a severum in my planted tank with no issues. My severum does nibble plants but doesn't mow them down like many people say. It's all on an individual basis though.

He will also go after the otos when they're swimming freely.

Best thing for algae is just figuring out the cause and adjusting your lighting and fertilization to take care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Our light schedule is the lights are off during the day and then they are one 8 hours at night and we keep the tank at a steady 76 degrees with an ehim heater

The jack demp we are holding for a friend and I'm looking at otos do they do well in groups?

I think he's saying you need to return the jack dempsey to the friend before getting the otos otherwise they will become a snack.

And yes otos do best in groups of 6+.

Otos don't really stick to the bottom though. They mainly chill on plant leaves and the side of the glass.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've had green severums and they always ate my plants. Even Java Fern and Anubias. They also get to big for a 40g.

Back
Top Bottom