best brand food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappa565

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys,
i have firemouths and topajo, feeding them a variety of foods, but i am lacking a staple food! what brand of pallets/flakes is everyone using? im hearing new life spectrum is good! also is there any vegies other than peas that i can give them to nibble on?

I typically use Hikari Cichlid Gold as my staple food. Ocean Nutrition makes a cichlid veggie that comes in flake or pellet form that is fairly good. You could try blanched zucchini or broccoli for a nibble veggie. I normally don't put veggies in my tanks except on rare occasions, but I do use Ocean Nutrition dried seaweed sheets cut into small pieces daily. I use New Life Spectrum Thera +A in my community tank as a staple food. There are several very good foods on the market today. Other people may have different foods they prefer.

what does blanched mean? and thankyou for your advice

NorthFin is highly recommended from what I'm hearing around the community.

Making your own food is best and will leave out a bunch of preservatives.

Blanching is basically boiling to soften them up. I used to do it but my fish and even shrimp find a way to eat it without doing it so I don't anyway. Blanching removes good nutrients from vegetables.

Cobalt, Hikari... Yes, homemade is great. Get those little silicone mini ice cube trays. more info

I've found that human food grade nori is less expensive than fish food grade seaweed. Put it in a clip. Watch them nibble.

I'm a fan of Omega Sea and Hikari, but as the others have said, there are a lot of good food brands on the market. Also have a look at homemade foods, such as Repashy and Dr. Tim's "Bene-fish-al". Aquarists have reported really good results with these.

Here are someput pictures of my homemade gel food:
1484332092139.jpg
1484332101345.jpg
The hearts are way too big. After making them, I learned to make them smaller.

The hearts are sardines and spinach. The stars are oysters, apple, and banana. The blocks... The labels are gone, so I can't remember what they are. I'm pretty sure carrots.

I put whatever I want to include in either the food processor or blender. I like to use one meat and two fruits or vegetables. You can also add an antacid if you have snails. Separately, mix one cup of boiling water with a packet of unflavored gelatin. Once it's dissolved, combine it with the puree. Put it in a silicone mini ice cube tray and then stick it in the freezer. After a few hours, take it out of the trays and put it in baggies or whatever. It's a good idea to label them. The food keeps for a really long time, and it ends up being very inexpensive. Seriously I get the canned seafood that is in water and doesn't have any salt or oil. Cheap. Fish love it.

When it's time to feed, I let it thaw in a tiny cup and then just drop it in the tank.

ahhaha thats awsome i might try homemade one day!! just trying to learn the ropes at the moment!! lucky i found this site where i can ask all my silly questions

New Life Spectrum with garlic gets excellent reviews ... and I get excellent results with it. Also Hikari frozen brine shrimp once or twice a week.

Thanks for the info, nirbhao. I'll get some small candy molds next time my wife goes to Hobby Lobby. She's excited that I'm actually going to go in that store with her, as I typically hate it. I'm excited to try making my own foods.

Thanks for the info, nirbhao. I'll get some small candy molds next time my wife goes to Hobby Lobby. She's excited that I'm actually going to go in that store with her, as I typically hate it. I'm excited to try making my own foods.
I'm excited to hear how it goes!

What did she think when she heard of your intended use? :eek: :ROFLMAO:

:eek2: I could just imagine

I tried making all my own foods but I had to stop I had a habit of over filling the freezer with it , never had room for people food :D now I just buy tons of hikari frozen foods .

they take up less room in the freezer :fish2:
Save

An easy way to lightly blanche things to soften them a little but keep more nutrients is to put a say spinach or choy leaves in a cup, pour boiling hot water over and just let sit about five minutes.

Back
Top Bottom