Best Breeders for a Classroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are really cool little fish, there are allot of different types here's a couple:

'Lamprologus' caudopunctatus
'Lamprologus' meleagris '
'Lamprologus' multifasciatus
'Lamprologus' ocellatus ''Gold''
'Lamprologus' sp. ''Ornatipinnis Kigoma''
'Lamprologus' speciosus ''Black"
Lepidiolamprologus hecqui Mbita
Telmatochromis brichardi
Telmatochromis sp. ''Temporalis Shell''

Koi swords :) lol endlers are awesome but there are different ways to bread... U don't actually HAVE to remove the fry....

I keep guppies and you have to remove fry, but only until they are bigger than bite size. They may be a good option since they eat some of the fry so you will not have as many babies to find homes for. I try to save as many fry as I can, but I often only get a couple at a time. But, the fewere there are, the easier it is for the kids to name them and keep track of them.

I keep guppies and you have to remove fry, but only until they are bigger than bite size. They may be a good option since they eat some of the fry so you will not have as many babies to find homes for. I try to save as many fry as I can, but I often only get a couple at a time. But, the fewere there are, the easier it is for the kids to name them and keep track of them.

That's true. My husband is a big fan of fancy tailed guppies. He's trying to sway me. Haha.

TheMurrays said:
So what else can you do? Give me specifics, friend!

U can use breeder boxes which would be cool cause the kids might be able to watch. Also there are plants and different things ( loofas lol) u can put in ur aquarium for them to hide in... Some may get eaten and there would be a better survival rate if u move them like was stated above :) I had guppies and they are pretty easy. Guess it just depends on how u wanna do it and how much fry you want ;)

Ps endlers are great looking if u can find them... Severum sales some on here I believe and she can give u a shipping quote.

Shell dwellers are cool but I haven't seen any colorful ones in any LFS ( local fish stores) they also run about 20 a piece at one of my LFS and are very small an dull in color.... I thought about getting some but didn't wanna SHELL out the money!!! Lol lol

TheMurrays said:
I'm a little concerned about that. I'm not sure where I would put them all!

That's why I would do platies guppies or mollies easy to find cheap easy to breed and if you have hiding places some fry will survive not all just the strong which is part of the circle of life for fish another lesson learned for the children and the you only need 1 tank

Flossie said:
Shell dwellers are cool but I haven't seen any colorful ones in any LFS ( local fish stores) they also run about 20 a piece at one of my LFS and are very small an dull in color.... I thought about getting some but didn't wanna SHELL out the money!!! Lol lol

The ones you saw were most likely Multies which are sort of a pearl white with stripes and an iridescent sheen to them. There are many different color varieties. They aren't that expensive you just need to know where to find them, try finding local breeders or there are members on this forum who breed them and would probably only charge a couple of bucks + shipping. Another option is www.davesfish.com, he sells them for $6-8.

Mogurako said:
The ones you saw were most likely Multies which are sort of a pearl white with stripes and an iridescent sheen to them. There are many different color varieties. They aren't that expensive you just need to know where to find them, try finding local breeders or there are members on this forum who breed them and would probably only charge a couple of bucks + shipping. Another option is www.davesfish.com, he sells them for $6-8.
Sounds good!! The only ones I could find were not attractive and at 20 bucks a piece I was like no way!! Lol

U can use breeder boxes which would be cool cause the kids might be able to watch. Also there are plants and different things ( loofas lol) u can put in ur aquarium for them to hide in... Some may get eaten and there would be a better survival rate if u move them like was stated above :) I had guppies and they are pretty easy. Guess it just depends on how u wanna do it and how much fry you want ;)

I don't want a lot of fry, but I do want some of them to make it! :) What's a breeder box? I mean... I think I know... But not sure. Haha.

That's why I would do platies guppies or mollies easy to find cheap easy to breed and if you have hiding places some fry will survive not all just the strong which is part of the circle of life for fish another lesson learned for the children and the you only need 1 tank

Good point about survival of the fittest. :) If I am going to talk about my "ecosystem" and then take out the "food" I might miss a learning opportunity.

Some ppl don't recommend them but breeder boxes are little clear plastic boxes u can put in ur tank and just put the female in. It is made where the bottom is separated by plastic with a small opening that the babies fall into and when she is finished u can take her out and leave the fry until they are large enough to be removed..

I personally would go for the Killifish. But for an easy livebearer i would go for the Endler and for an easy moothbrooder i would go for the Shell Dweller, i have them at the moment in a breeding colony and they are awesome! By far my faveourite cichlid :)
But for the plants you will probably have to stick close to the lower lighting stuff. So stuff like Java fern and Java Moss can go nicly in your tank. And they will bot attach onto things like driftwood and rocks so the fry can hide in there when they are born!
Also have fun with this i know i have had a lot of fun with my breeing program! :D

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm going to try to find a cheap (maybe free!) tank before I decide. You've given me plenty of options, now I need to do some research!

Back
Top Bottom