Best Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got my new UV sterilizer in today and now I'm figuring out a canister I can run it on. I'm going for level 2 sterilization and need 288-360 gph, so I figure a canister rated at 400 gph will suffice given I'm only going to run like one piece of mechanical filtration, lift from the canister to the top of the tank will be about 2.5-3 feet. I was looking at the filstar xp4 because it's cheap. Are there any others you'd recommend and do you think a canister rated at 400 gph will realistically give me the 288-360 gph I am needing or should I look at a higher rated one?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I run two Filstar 3s on my 120 gal one of them is hooked to a 15watt Aqua UV. Not only are the Filstars a good price but there the most quite canisters filters I have used. They have been running for about three years and I have never had a problem. They keep my tank crystal clear.

What level of sterilization are you going for or what gph is required?

Go to UV Sterilizers, Biological/ Mechanical Filters, and Pumps by Aqua Ultraviolet | aquaultraviolet.com I use the 15watt Classic model what is nice about this model is it comes with 3/4" barbs and works perfect with the hoses that come with the Filstars. Check out the website above for all the specs. Aqua sterillizers aren't the cheapest but they are the best. Remember the slower the flow the higher the sterilization. My filter specs are 350gph. Full of media I'm around 280gph that seems to work good.

Yeah I looked at the aqua or TMC vector. Ended up going with a SunSun 36 watt to try out since I was able to get it cheap. With the filstar are they difficult to prime? I've gotten kind of spoiled with the fluval self-priming.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom