Best ferts, co2, root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following I'm new to planted tanks also and this thread seems to be full of good information:)

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah you want to filter it pretty heavily IMO because there will be some plant matter and dead leaves floating around every now and then.

You're doing good though. PPS pro seems a bit outdated; most people make serious modifications based on their tap water and preference, but in general it shortchanges you in potassium and phosphate. This is the original recipe and what I use:

Original:
29.5 grams of K2SO4
32.5 grams of KNO3
3 grams of KH2PO4
20.5 grams of MgSO4

Micros

40 grams of CSM+B

Tweaked:
42 grams of K2SO4
28 grams of KNO3
8 grams of KH2PO4
21 grams of MgSO4

Micros

50 grams of CSM+B

Per 500 ml

Like I said, most people double up on phosphates and dose maybe 25% extra potassium and micros.

Another note, your dosing of magnesium sulfate is just to provide magnesium (duh) but if your GH is high enough (7+) you can leave it out or dose less. My water is very soft so I dose a bit extra, but will dose more like 30 grams per 500 ml when I switch to EI dosing.

So I have two marineland penguin filters (150 and 100). Rated for 30 and 20 gallons with sponges inside instead of the filter cartridges. Do you think this is sufficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I have two marineland penguin filters (150 and 100). Rated for 30 and 20 gallons with sponges inside instead of the filter cartridges. Do you think this is sufficient?

Yes thats probably good for 25 gallons.

Honestly I've never tried to sell anything on here so I'll have to figure something out most importantly how to go about a transaction and the best way to ship.

I buy and sell stuff quite a bit online. Most people use paypal. To ship plants I usually use a small box or even a padded envelope. Shipping first class is usually 2-3 bucks. They charge by weight. Last time i shipped something the package weighed 5 ounces, it cost me $2.68 to ship first class. Also the plants dont need to be submerged completely. As long as the bag is moist and sealed shut they do fine.

I probably should get them gone quickly they started to melt floating over night so I took them outside in indirect light and planted them in a plastic container hopefully they don't die

I don't have a paypal so I might need to just give em away.

The filter system on that tank included a little giant pump, ocean clear canister filter, RO system and chiller. The halogen light is a pfo aquatics solaris. Upon further inspection the wood is definitely local desert wood.

So I found a Milwaukee sms122 ph meter amongst all of this stuff. Do any of you know if they're any good and how they work. Do you just plug the co2 regulator into the front of the ph meter plug?

I'll have to look up your suggestions for sure I might be able to salvage a co2 system off a much larger tank so I'll keep in touch on that. I'm getting a free tank (hopefully) I think the dimensions are 6'lx2'hx2'd w/ light filter co2 driftwood and plants.

Unfortunately no where to put it in the house but prob will sell what I can't salvage

Gosh I want a free 180g aquarium.

Well slightly free, just the labor. It took 5 people and 4 hours of hard manual labor to pull it out of there, definitely worth it!

Thats a shame. You should make one lol

My only problem is that I've heard it's troublesome to get money from paypal into your checking account.

My only problem is that I've heard it's troublesome to get money from paypal into your checking account.

Oh. Ive never done that. From what i understand tho is that you can link paypal to it. Not sure how much trouble it is to actually do it tho. I usually just use the money to buy other stuff online. Pretty much when i sell something that money gets credited to my paypal account. Then anywhere that accepts paypal i can use it.

If you still want 'em pm me. I'll ship 'em out for free just let me know how it turns out just need em gone and I'd hate to see them die no where near enough room in my 25 for them. Goes for anyone until they're gone so hmu before they die or are gone (just take lots xD). Although, beware they are infested w/ pest snails Dx

Just my opinion but I would not worry a ton about adjusting your pps pro formulas much off the bat. With exception to nitrates and phosphates most people dose it straight in the beginning and it's very often perfectly fine. How much they're dosing per 10 gallons also fluctuates from person to person. Your co2, plants, tap water, and overall uniqueness of your tank will decide if endless adjustment is necessary, but in the beginning keep it simple and just let your plants dictate if things need to be changed.

You can link your Paypal account to your checking account (instead of just tying your credit card). It takes $1 transaction to verify it (not sure, but I think they refund the $1). After that, you can transfer Paypal funds to your bank. It usually takes about 4 business days to transfer, depending on your transaction history. If you have a lot of positive transaction history, I think that delay can be shortened to 2 business days.

Some banks also hold deposits for a couple days before the funds become "active". Deposits into my bank are immediately available, so I don't have that to worry about.

It's pretty straightforward, but the security hoops you have to hop through are what bother folks since the availability of the funds isn't "immediate".

Sounds like a lot to worry about for right now if I was heavily planting that 180 under high light I'd for sure be setting one up to sell or at least collect shipping on trimmings.

Back
Top Bottom