Best filter for 125 gallon fresh water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outflying

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

What a great website. I've been doing a ton a reading. Thanks for the wealth of info.

First question:

I recently picked up a used 125 gallon tank. It had a leak around the base. I've stripped all of the old silicon off and found the exact spot rather quickly. While resealing the tank this afternoon I quickly learned that I am NO Picasso when it comes to making the new silicon look pretty.

What is the best way to "clean up" the surplus silicon that I got all over the place and to make it look nice?

Second question:

It is possible that I could be moving in the next 8 months so I think I'm going to start with fresh water. I bought the big tank with a plan for salt down the road. With that in mind I don't mind spending a little more on a filter system now that will also work well with salt tanks. What would you guys recommend? I read that people seem to be really happy with the fluval 405 but it is only rated to 100 gallons. Would I need to buy two?

I’ve done a lot of reading but still seem to be lost in the sea (pun intended) of options when it comes to filtration. Please help.

Thanks,
Barry

Using a razor blade and being careful not to scratch the glass is probably your best bet getting silicone off. A drain system with a sump might be your best bet with a filter.

You can also use painters tape or any other low tack tape. Run a strip along the joint on both panes of glass about 1/4" away from the seam, then put on your silicon on and smooth it out. Carefully remove the tape before the silicon starts to dry. There ya go. 2 near perfect edges.

Thank you both for the fast responses. Unfortunately I've already applied the silicon. I guess its time for a little more clean up.

if its at the base you should be able to just cover it right up with your gravel or whatever substrate you use. the bottom of mine has GLOBS of it in places where i never cut it off but its no biggie because you cant see it at all.. but if you are compulsive ;) and have to get rid of any trace then a razor blade would do well just mind the glass for scratches.

Congrats on scoring the 125G. I have a 125G heavily planted with a medium fish load. I could safely add quite a few more. I have 2 Filstar xP3's. The redundancy gives some comfort in the event a filter packs up. Alternating filter cleaning eliminates the risk of crashing the bio-filter. Tank circulation is enhanced by setting the return in the opposite half of the tank to the pick up. The xP's are excellent and quiet filters. I have a CO2 diffuser in the return line of one of the xP's.
Vic

vic said:
Tank circulation is enhanced by setting the return in the opposite half of the tank to the pick up. The xP's are excellent and quiet filters.

So would I put an intake in each corner at opposite ends of the tank? Then both returns in the middle?

I think I'm going with 2 xp3.

Thanks.

I believe that would work. For me I just have my intakes near my out spray bar on the same side of the tank, I have an Under Gravel/Sand Jet system, so the tank gets all the poop and left overs circulated into the both intakes or the prefilter over the pump running the system. If I re-do the interior of the tank I might think about looking into this option.

I have a power head in each rear corner and a Fluval 405 and a Fluval 305 on my 125 planted with a good sized bio-load with no problems . I do 30% PWC every week .

Back
Top Bottom