Best Filter for a 56 Column?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wanting a 56 column tank. What filter do yall think is best? I am very very partial to the Fluval c4 HOB. However Ive heard really good things about Aqueons to. My mom has one and I like it so far. However I really want to have really good biofiltration. I am mixed on canisters. Ive heard they are bad for biofiltration. Thoughts?

Canisters are great for bio. I wouldn't consider a HOB for a column simply for the current issue. Going with a canister would allow a pickup tube near the bottom and an output near the top to move water for maximum oxy transfer. Something like a Fluval 304/305 or 404/405.

Just do what I do, AcuaClear 70 and Fluval C4 both with the one sponge and a boat load of biomax/c-nodes.

I really want to get a sump eventually but that is a far off dream...

Just checked prices.... we are gonna have to start with an hob lol I want to build my own sump though! It would be cheap!

In that case, you might want to consider either a powerhead or air bubble stick. An issue with column tanks is getting current and flow up and down the column. Also, please remember that surface area dictates gas transfer rates. Fish load will be significantly smaller than a different shaped tank of a similar gallon volume.

In that case, you might want to consider either a powerhead or air bubble stick. An issue with column tanks is getting current and flow up and down the column. Also, please remember that surface area dictates gas transfer rates. Fish load will be significantly smaller than a different shaped tank of a similar gallon volume.
Yea but A) I cant fit a 55g long and B) I despise the 4 ft long tanks! I like more depth! lol I may just go with a powerhead. Cant seem to figure out how to get an airwand to work in sand lol

The air wand doesn't need to be in the sand. You can suction cup it to the back wall above the substrate level. You just want it to draw the water up to create flow up/down the column. However, the air pump would have to be of a sufficient size to overcome the head pressure of the depth you are installing it at.

I hope you don't think I was telling you that a column tank was bad or not preferred. I wasn't. I just didn't want to see fish suffer from stocking it like a 50 long. As well, some fish need a 4 foot tank length to swim. They would be miserable in a vertical column.

The air wand doesn't need to be in the sand. You can suction cup it to the back wall above the substrate level. You just want it to draw the water up to create flow up/down the column. However, the air pump would have to be of a sufficient size to overcome the head pressure of the depth you are installing it at.

I hope you don't think I was telling you that a column tank was bad or not preferred. I wasn't. I just didn't want to see fish suffer from stocking it like a 50 long. As well, some fish need a 4 foot tank length to swim. They would be miserable in a vertical column.
Its cool. My bubble stones cloud up my water if they stick out of the substrate...

I use a Fluval 405 and an Aquaclear 110 on my 56. I haven't needed to vac waste off the sand in months because between the two, everything gets picked up when the fish disturb it.

GodFan said:
I am wanting a 56 column tank. What filter do yall think is best? I am very very partial to the Fluval c4 HOB. However Ive heard really good things about Aqueons to. My mom has one and I like it so far. However I really want to have really good biofiltration. I am mixed on canisters. Ive heard they are bad for biofiltration. Thoughts?

Have a look at my pics on my column tank.

Back
Top Bottom