Best filter media to use in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abby256

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi hoping that someone can help me out with this. This is my first planted tank. It's a 29 gallon and I have two HOB filters. One is a Aquaclear 50 and the other a Aquaclear 20. I did have carbon in the filters along with sponges and the aquaclear biomax. I have since taken out the carbon and rather than replacing it with more I am wondering what might be a better option? Or should I just put in more carbon? The tank has been up and going about 4 months. We did a fishless cycle, quarratined the fish and added them in small groups so as not to overload. I want to make sure that everything stays in good order and the problem that I have right now is that with just one sponge per filter and the aquaclear biomax there isn't enough filter media in each filter. Should I add back fresh carbon, go with some type of chemical filtration medium like Purigen or just add an extra sponge or addition biological media like the biomax or some other brand? Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.

I asked this question couple days ago. There are mixed feelings. Some say that the carbon takes nutrients from the water which your plants need. Some say it doesn't matter. If you research it the majority of people say not to use it. I replaced my carbon in my fluval 305 and aquaclear 70 filters with bioballs and acurel filter fiber. I also dose it with flourish excel. I did this last week, and I'm getting new growth from a plant that was almost dead.

Thanks. Sorry didn't see your post. What is the fiber fill? Where do you get it? My plants are doing fine as everything is right now and they were fine with the carbon while it was in but I was afraid it might have a long term bad effect on them and I wasn't sure what would be best for the fish. How is the fiber fill doing with your ammonia nitrates nitrites and where do you get the fiber fill?

If everything is going fine I would leave it the way you have it. Aquaclear filters have one bag of carbon that goes in them, so its probably not hurting the plants. Carbon won't hurt your fish, all its doing is making the water clear, and making your tank not smelly by taking in all the stuff from the water.But that's what the plants do as well. I was running 6 bags of carbon in my tank, so there was nothing for the plants. If you ever went to a local fish store, the fiber is that white stuff they use in those square filters at the bottom of the tank with the air bubbles coming out of them. All it does is capture smaller particles.

I don't have a test kit for nitrites, nitrate but my ammonia is at 0. The fiber I got a PETCO.

Think I'll go ahead and order some more carbon for now and check into the other later. I've been using fertilizer so I wonder if maybe that's what is making the plants go so well. I had just heard the same as you had regarding not using carbon with plants and I had found the purigen while browsing online and was curious what would be best. I've been buying the Aquaclear carbon refill bags but think I might just buy a big thing of carbon and bag it myself in some new pantyhose. Should be fine?

Back
Top Bottom