Best filter system for a 125 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had it with my Marineland Double Tide Pool Bio-Wheel filtration system. After doing my once a week 50% water change, I can't get the system to start again. At the moment it is running on 2 power heads. I can no longer get replacement parts as well. I need an overflow control rod assembly and they no longer make it. Now my small fish get sucked down into the filter system and die.

They recommend changing the carbon pillows and filter pads every 21 days. That's over $900 a year. I used to just rinse everything once a month and it would last 6 months or more. Now they down graded the quality of the pillows and they simply fall apart after 4 weeks when removed from the trays.

This tank is in the center of my living room. I really like the idea of viewing from all sides, but this system is horrible to work with. What is everyone else using? It is definitely time for a change. One that actually works............
:rolleyes:

:thanks:

I have a 220g and used to run a Fluval FX5 and 2 Fluval 406's. Now I run 4 Fluval 406's as I like them better and they are easier to service since they don't weigh a ton like the FX5 does. I've been using Fluval canisters since the 80's and am still using this brand today.

1 fx5 would be sufficient. You could also run a aquaclear 110, just to have more bio filtration, and if one of the filters has an issue your water won't get lethal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom