Best fish for 5 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say either a betta or some guppies or just about anything that size. The dont require the large tank other fish do. something like neon tetras would work as well.

I would put NO neon tetras in there, no tetras for that matter. They may be small, but they are very active fish and need the space, not to mention shoaling so you need at least 6. I had neons in a 5.5 and they did horribly, they swam back and forth and against the sides of the glass. Even my 10 gallon is on the small side for 6 neons.

5 gallon fish

Hey! a good friend of mine does the same thing with his 5gal tank. He has a beautiful Betta and a Cory Cat - its not green though - kinda browninsh with darker brown spots - He also cut the top to allow for bamboo plants (the curly things you see at the mall all the time). He said the Betta like to nibble at the roots. Anyway for a small tank it is an eye catcher - Bright red fish, bamboo growing - cool:hat:

wow that sounds really cool! My setup ended up being my Betta and 3 Otos, and it is heavily planted. The betta and the otos pretty much ignore each other....occasionally when one is suctioned to the glass the Betta will go check it out, sometimes "poke" the oto a little with his nose, but he doesn't flare at them at all, it seems to be working quite well! :) That's just my $0.02 FWIW

He said the Betta like to nibble at the roots.

In case you didn't realize, bettas are carnavours (ie meat eaters) so when they nibble at plant roots they're going after microscopic critters on the roots and not the roots themselves.

Back
Top Bottom