Best grow light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! It has been a very long time since I've been on AA but ever since I broke down and condensed my 75gal planted into a 29 gallon (and then moved and lost all my fish and plants) I haven't had too many fish related issues.

Currently I have a 29 gallon tank with the simple hooded light. I'd like to start growing plants again and I don't think the "grow light" I purchased really does much of anything. I don't want a ballast or anything overly complicated- what would y'all recommend for lighting? I can either replace the current bulb I have that fits the hood or I could possibly add something small in addition to what I have. Also, links would be really helpful.

I guess I should also mention a few details:
- I have a Ehiem canister filter
- I don't want to do CO2 at the moment
- I'd prefer low- medium grow lights.. something simple but can grow a variety of plants
- I have EcoComplete Substrate

Maybe I should narrow down my question- do I need a halide tube or a fluorescent tube? All the tubes I'm looking out don't really specify if they are good for plants. Is there a number to look for when looking at wattage?
They just talk about fish color.
I thought I purchased a grow light when I replaced the original hood light bulb but my plants did not grow very well and I don't want to make that mistake twice.

IMO, this what you should do:
Find the plants you want (don't buy them yet) do some research about the plants, and then look at other plants (you always find something better). After you are 100% sure that those are the plants you want, look at the lighting requirements and based on that make a decision.
Usually grow lights are meant to be used together with a daylight bulb (~ 6700 K), thats because plants absorb light in the blueish - reddish spectrum.

If you can and want to buy something I would get this light:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AquaSun-Fluorescent-24-Inch/dp/B0002DIRAU/ref=sr_1_16?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1323450635&sr=1-16

It is a 24 in HO t5 with double switch meaning that you can use 1 or two bulbs. The advantage of this lamp is that you could grow the plants you want (low light) and if you decide to grow something else you will be able to do it without having to get a new lamp.

On the other hand, If you can't expend that amount of money right now, you could get one of those cheap under cabinet lights (for around $12, the one I've seen are 5000K so those may work) at walmart (I'm sure you can get it somewhere else like home depot or lowes) and put it beside the one you currently have. I'm assuming that you can do it since you mention that "[you]" can add something small in addition to...."

Thanks for the replies!
The light at amazon might work well.

The 75gal that I acquired had a really nice ballast, so I was spoiled to being able to grow any type of plant that I wanted. The plants that I'd like are typically low/medium.

Thanks again for the reply and the link- I don't think I would have been able to find that on my own =o)

Back
Top Bottom