Best Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my aquarium set up since early summer, and until now I've not found it necessary to install a heater. Water temperature ranged between 77-80 this summer without a heater. We're having our first cold snap and the water temperature has declined to 73-74, which is the lower limit of tolerable temperatures for most tropical fish. I'm looking to purchase a submersible heater. What brand do you guys recommend? I've got a Petco gift card for $20 to go towards my purchase and Hydor and Aqueon have 4+ paw reviews. One better than the other?

I have Eheim Ebo Jagers, they are the best heaters for the money! I have one that is easily 10-15 years old and keeps a rocksteady temp.

Mogurako said:
I have Eheim Ebo Jagers, they are the best heaters for the money! I have one that is easily 10-15 years old and keeps a rocksteady temp.

Agreed. I have 4 eheim Jagers across 3 tanks and never a problem. I have 3 more in a box waiting to go in my next 3 tanks.

I've had my aquarium set up since early summer, and until now I've not found it necessary to install a heater. Water temperature ranged between 77-80 this summer without a heater. We're having our first cold snap and the water temperature has declined to 73-74, which is the lower limit of tolerable temperatures for most tropical fish. I'm looking to purchase a submersible heater. What brand do you guys recommend? I've got a Petco gift card for $20 to go towards my purchase and Hydor and Aqueon have 4+ paw reviews. One better than the other?

Very happy with the Aqueon Pro heaters. If you price them at Petco, they will be almost twice as much. I'd save the gift card for something else and try Ken's Fish or Amazon if you don't have a problem with online purchases. They have better prices compared to LFS.

Yeah I returned most of the stuff I got at petsmart when I saw it for half-cost on drs Foster & smith online. I replaced my aqueon (not pro) heater for the Eheim Jäger one for same cost!!

To be honest the jäger model is confusing to set properly but I never read the directions. I don't get the dial and the ring thingy on top, but it feels like a solid piece if equipment while the simpler aqueon heater felt a bit junky.

+1

On the Aqueon Pro heater. It keeps my water temp super stable. I really like how its shatter proof (no glass), stealthy because its all black, and has a lifetime warranty. Its worth the extra cost IMO.

marsh said:
Yeah I returned most of the stuff I got at petsmart when I saw it for half-cost on drs Foster & smith online. I replaced my aqueon (not pro) heater for the Eheim Jäger one for same cost!!

To be honest the jäger model is confusing to set properly but I never read the directions. I don't get the dial and the ring thingy on top, but it feels like a solid piece if equipment while the simpler aqueon heater felt a bit junky.

The newer Jagers have the dial on the top, one side is a little red looking button and the other side is the red arrow that you put on the temperature you want. It's a very simple heater to run. They are made of Schott Duran shatterproof glass which is resistant to: cold water shock and dry running protection. Also they have a +/- 2 degree recalibration, which to me is an awesome feature.

For my money there is no better heater, I know may people my Aquarium society have the older green models that are easily 15+ years old and still hold strong.

The arrow on the eheim is to set the temperature that you want to set your tank at, for instance 80F. The other dial is a calibration dial that you will need to adjust. If you find that your eheim heater turns off at 75F, then turn the dial until the arrow points at 75F. Then set the arrow to 80F.

rocksor said:
The arrow on the eheim is to set the temperature that you want to set your tank at, for instance 80F. The other dial is a calibration dial that you will need to adjust. If you find that your eheim heater turns off at 75F, then turn the dial until the arrow points at 75F. Then set the arrow to 80F.

Hmm I think I get it. My heater is set to 80, not calibrated, yet the temp varies from 79 to 83.

OK, so let me make sure I understand (the instructions are horrible). I have the temperature set at 79F from when I put the Jager in the water this morning. My thermometer is reading 79F. If the heater continues to heat, I need to move the blue dial to the temperature of the water (say 81F) and then move the red arrow to the temperature I want?

Hmmm....looking at my heater, I just realized my instructions initially are in reverse.

So if you set the heater using the blue dial to 79F, and your aquarium reads 79F (digital thermometer or glass thermometer reading), turn the blue dial to a decreasing temperature slowly so that you hear the click and it turns off. Let's say the red arrow is on 75F now. Turn the red arrow to 79F. This might take a couple of times to fully calibrate.

Thanks. Thermometer reading 80F, so I set the red arrow at 80F. Moved blue dial to 77F. See how that goes.

Haha thanks for explaining, I will try to reset my jäger Eheim, I actually just put an extra aqueon heater in because I was frustrated with the dial. Ill try again.

Back
Top Bottom