Best LED lights for Nuvo 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rbtnccord

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to run a med to high light FW tank.
Which LED lights would you recommend for this tank.
it is 24"Lx 9" deep x 13" tall. 13.5 gallon display area.
I have looked at putting two Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus fixtures on this tank which should give me at 18 watts each about 2.7 wpg. Total for both units $260 and with tank $510. Further I would need to spend another $50 for timers to control the lights. Also I have little knowledge or experience with this company.
I am open to any suggestions.
I am considering this at Marine Depot Total for tank and light $601,
Innovative Marine 16 Gallon Nuvo Aquarium Black w/ Maxspect 20.5 Inch Razor R420R 16,000K LED Light Fixture
Per Maxspect I could get their fixture thru Marine Depot in same package but a FW light rated at 120 watts and 8000K rather than the 10k or 16k SW versions. This would push the watts per gallon to over 8. That would demand CO2 for certain. So I am still looking for good options. HELP NEEDED
That is allot of money for a tank and light that is only 16 gallons.

Your suggestions

What is your reason for going with the nuvo? Have you checked out the mr aqua rimless tanks? It would probably be cheaper to go that route and piece everything together... Oh and watts per gallon is pretty much irrelevant, especially with LEDs...

Nuvo 16 lights

Hey Billbug
Reason I am not going with Mr Aqua or some other non all in one is two reasons.
1. Primarily the location that I am going to have it has no space for a HOB or canister or other external appliances. This will be sitting in the center of a island bar in our home.
2. I find that I like the convenience of the AIO tank and especially in this case the look with the pedestal etc. I probably could save a few dollars building this tank from off the shelf appliances and would have fun doing so but I can also modify to my liking an AIO and keep the look clean and tidy.
Thank you for your input it is appreciated.
I agree watts per gallon in the old method of determining light output but sadly most mfgr's dont list par or lumens so you have to use some type of general value to determine volume of light and kelvin.

I'm no lighting expert but I use a finnex ray 2 for my planted tank. I've been satisfied with it, maybe take look at those.

Hey Billbug
Reason I am not going with Mr Aqua or some other non all in one is two reasons.
1. Primarily the location that I am going to have it has no space for a HOB or canister or other external appliances. This will be sitting in the center of a island bar in our home.
2. I find that I like the convenience of the AIO tank and especially in this case the look with the pedestal etc. I probably could save a few dollars building this tank from off the shelf appliances and would have fun doing so but I can also modify to my liking an AIO and keep the look clean and tidy.
Thank you for your input it is appreciated.
I agree watts per gallon in the old method of determining light output but sadly most mfgr's dont list par or lumens so you have to use some type of general value to determine volume of light and kelvin.

Well, that's a good of reason as any to go with the AIO.

Could you try to order the nuvo with the freshwater LEDs and try running only one fixture? Doesn't it come with two clip style led lamps?

Edit: just took a second look at your dimensions. I think you might be able to run one of the current fixtures, or like mentioned, the finnex ray 2 would put you in a higher light range, and the finnex fugeray would put you in most likely low light. It really depends on what you want the tank to be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom