Best sand for planted community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

My actual sand rise the water chimistry and probably not good for my future fishes:
AquStockImage.php

+ Draft Gourami.

Also I'm worry about Corydoras and sharp edges of my actual sand:
attachment.php

51dLXzaM6kL._SY355_.jpg

I also put there by mistake 5lb (for 40lb sand) of gravel with very sharp edges.

What is the best sand for my fishes and plants? Do I really need to change it to stop water chimistry changes (I already have hard water).

My plants:
1x Dwarf Anubias (Anubias barteri var. nana)
1x Cryptocoryne wendtii
1x Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Tropica’
3x Giant Vallisneria
2x Java Moss
1x Moss ball
1x Windelov's fern
1x Rotala Indica
1x Egeria densa
1x Sunset Hydro (Hygrophila polysperma)
1x Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri, Echinodorus amazonicus)
2x Brazilian Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala)

Pool filter sand? But what size, color and type?
I guess, I cannot use Eco-Complete with corydoras?

Something like that will be good?
6918-detail.jpg

And how about Caribsea RED Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate?
VoirPhoto.asp

Waiting your advices.

Thanks

Ive heard of people using eco complete with cories all the time. If not i would use fine sand with root tabs, plant root will grow much better in sand than gravel.

I use this sand from Home Depot. $5 a bag.

Attachments

• image-162951018.jpg
    image-162951018.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 110
How about the sand color/size and pool filter sand?

How abour my actual sand? Better to change it , if it change water hardness (I did a vinegar test)?

It does look alittle big and not to mention sharp. A way to test if it will alter ph and hardness is to fill a cup and add alittle to it and leave it a couple of days. Test before and after.

Eco complete is fine with cories. Mine have all barbels intact after 4 months

Plants will grow better with Eco-Complete? Big difference between it and pool filter sand + root tabs? How much do I need for 29g (30x12 inch)? 20 or 40lb?

How about syphone it?

If sand + root tablets = the same thing for the plants (I have only 3 root feeders plant - 1xAmazon Swoed and 2 Crypts) and I prefer the sand look. But I don't know what color and size to choose.

Thanks

Plants will grow better with Eco-Complete? Big difference between it and pool filter sand + root tabs? How much do I need for 29g (30x12 inch)? 20 or 40lb?

How about syphone it?

If sand + root tablets = the same thing for the plants (I have only 3 root feeders plant - 1xAmazon Swoed and 2 Crypts) and I prefer the sand look. But I don't know what color and size to choose.

Thanks

I have a 20g long (same foot print as the 29) and I used 40lb of EcoComplete (EC). I think I could have been okay with 30-35lb.

Just like sand, you will still need root tabs of some type to feed root feeding plants with EC. Unlike sand, EC has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity). Which means it will adsorb certain minerals from the water and make them available for the plant's roots (http://soils.tfrec.wsu.edu/webnutritiongood/soilprops/04CEC.htm).

I don't siphon or gravel vac the EC. I do hold the end of the hose near the substrate surface to pull up debris.

I believe EC only comes in black or red. If you have a preference for lighter color substrate then I'd go with pool filter sand or play sand (plus root tabs).

What is the advantage of Eco-Complete over the pool sand with root tabs for low light tank. Do I really need it?

If yes, I can get a Fine graded Eco-Complete, must be much better for catfish.

Thanks

What is the advantage of Eco-Complete over the pool sand with root tabs for low light tank. Do I really need it?

If yes, I can get a Fine graded Eco-Complete, must be much better for catfish.

Thanks

I use eco complete under pfs. I get nutrients for roots. And the look of tan sand.

Ordered Eco-Complete Black Fine. Do I still need to use root tabs, seachem comph and Iron with potassium?

Ordered Eco-Complete Black Fine. Do I still need to use root tabs, seachem comph and Iron with potassium?

Nice. Wish the fine grade was available when I did my setup. I think one of the advantages with the regular EC over sand is due to the larger grain size it may hold down plants better.
If its low light the plants may be okay. The heavy root feeders (swords, crypts) will always enjoy root tabs. I add them to my low light shrimp tank. It is supposed to be once a month but I have not been diligent yet they (crypts) appear to be doing well and some are sending out runners.

Just verified the KH/GH.

Tank
KH - 7.
GH - 179.

Tap water after 72h
KH - 6.
GH - 161.1.

Tap water (immediately)
KH - 6.
GH - 179.

So, I'm OK with my African Cichlid Sand substate?

CaribSea African Cichlid Ivory Coast Sand is good for the low/medium light plants?

1-2.5mm sand won't block the water mouvement under the sand and create anaerobic gas?

Thanks

Installed Eco Complete. My god, how difficult it holds the plants...

Eco is so light, that its very difficult to hold the plants without the anchor.

Eco is so light, that its very difficult to hold the plants without the anchor.

I won't argue with you on that, especially with the more delicate or top heavy plants. You could try tooth picks. Criss cross style to help hold down plants. Or anchors. I have a horde of Malaysian trumpet snails and they actually push the toothpicks out of the substrate. Once the plants establish themselves the EC will hold them down pretty firmly. Just the initial planting can be a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom