Best way to cycle a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just put some live rock in there after you set it up and put some smart start in it and it will cycle faster. You can go ahead and put snails and hermits in there once you get it set up and a couple of hardy fish

Ok, Would it be the same process if I use mostly dry rock and some live?

You will need to present an ammonia source. There is an article about it in our articles section. I'm personally a fan of putting a cocktail shrimp in some pantyhose and letting nature take its course.

Just didn't know whether I could put my cleaner crew in it while still cloudy. Would you brush the diatom algae off the rock before putting it in the new tank?

You will need to present an ammonia source. There is an article about it in our articles section. I'm personally a fan of putting a cocktail shrimp in some pantyhose and letting nature take its course.

Thanks I was guessing that was my best bet

Yes it is done the same way. You just add an ammonia source and let it begin. Then monitor the levels over the next couple weeks.

But can it be done with mostly dry rock and some live ? I'm a beginner sorry

It can be done with all dry. The mix of things doesn't matter as the process of 'cycling' is building up that bacteria base through the nitrate cycle...hence the name. Having rock that is 'live' or already 'cured' would simply assist with speeding up the process.

Back
Top Bottom