Best way to cycle new 5.5g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RRiley774

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently got my daughter a 5.5g tank for her room for Christmas. I have had several tanks through the years all larger but it's been a few years since I've had one up and running. I am looking for advice on what I need to do to properly cycle the tank. As you can imagine a 3 year old isn't very patient so I want to start a cycle with alittle guppy just to hold her over. Any help from here would be helpful. I have already set the tank up and it's been running for 5-6 days. I put a cap full of topfin bacteria suppliment in ( I have since read it's not very good ) so it is what it is at this point. I have done a lot of research over the past few days to refresh my memory but it always seems very complicated. Can someone lay out some advice in black and white on what to do to get this tank going within a few weeks with one small guppy as a starter.

Do you know anyone with an established tank? The easiest method is to use some established media and stock with an eye on test results IMO. The test results will tell you when to do a water change. Check out the articles section for more info.

BTW, Welcome to AA! :)

Thanks, I just read the article on cycling after you have already bought a fish, very helpful and black and white. The only question I have now is what kind of havoc did I create ( if any ) by adding the topfin bacteria suppliment.

I wouldn't worry about adding that. It might not help, but it shouldn't hurt either.

Update ... My tank has been running now for 6 full days. I set it up and then left for the holidays returning this evening. I bought an API water kit and ran my test tonight. Here is what I have ...

Ph - 7.6
Amm - .25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate 5.0ppm

I just did a 30% water change after running these tests. Since the water change the little guppy has been hiding as he is usually very active.

Can someone please elaborate alittle more on what my numbers mean as far as the progress I'm making on my cycle? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply, I did already read that article and it was very informative. However I was looking for alittle more insight on the possible progress of my cycle according to the current test results. Also if anyone could give their opinion on if I should be concerned about my guppy staying stationary since my water change. Thanks again!

Worth letting the water used for changes stand for 24 hrs and then test so you know what base is. My tap water has some nitrates in it - less than 10 but not 0.

Let me elaborate more on what my thinking/concerns are ... Theoretically I could do enough water changes today to get my amm at 0 and my nitrites are already at 0. My nitrates are 5.0ppm. According to the article I read in the link above my tank would appear to me to be fully cycled at that point in just 6 days. Now I don't believe that's the case so obviously I'm missing something hear. Is my tank already cycled?? Or what part of the cycle process do I appear to be in? What should happen next? Please help : )

No. You will see a spike in the nitrite value. Until you see ammonia spike, then nitrite spike, and then accumulating nitrate; it isn't cycled. It can be difficult to tell in a small tank since it is easy to remove a large portion of the water in order to keep the fish safe.

Ran some tests again today after the the water change yesterday. Exact same readings. Normal or not normal?

Same readings as what? .25 amm, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate?
Did you ever test the tap water as Delapool had suggested? This will tell us a lot.

Your tank definitely can't cycle in 6 days. Don't water change it down to 0 ammonia, though. You have to have something for the bacteria to grow on.

Sounds like youre at the beginning of your cycle. Like threnjen said, dont take the ammonia down to zero, otherwise the beneficial bacteria have nothing to "eat." What you need to look for next is your nitrItes. Ones those spike, you are on your way! Keep doing your water changes, but just make sure there is at least a little ammonia in the tank.

Prime treated water still contains ammonia available to bacteria. The reduction of ammonia to as close to zero as possible is still preferable with life in the tank. I see no reason to temper water changes.

I wouldnt worry about the guppy. If you're using api master test kit, it is calculating the total ammonia present in the tank. This comes in two forms, free ammonia (toxic) and ammonium (non toxic).

The higher the pH the more free ammonia is present. Your pH is steady and you are below the free ammonia threshhold.

See this link http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

This is not to say that fish do not prefer less ammonia and a fishless cycle may be the way to go in future :)

As for nitrates you need to test your tap water as suggested. It seems to me like your tap water contains some nitrates. Constantly changing water will stress the guppy out especially if temp is not matched and could be the reason why it is hiding. Also poor acclamitisation of the fish to the temperature and chemistry of your water could have stressed him out. Its best to leave the lights off for a couple of days when introducing a new fish. As soon as the guppy associates you with food he will be very brave indeed lol.

On the subject of feeding. Whilst you are still cycling, feeding should be kept to one feeding a day skipping a day every other day. Make sure that your daughter is not feeding while you are not watching. Excess feeding will increase total ammonia. Make sure the guppy eats all that you put in. Remember, it is said that a fishes belly is the same size as its eye. One flake should be plenty.

Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I picked up a bottle of Prime but I have a few questions with it ... Will prime effect my test results and will I still need to do daily water changes while cycling and using prime? Thanks again for the responses!

No the prime will not affect the test results. Api liquid tests show the total ammonia and does not discriminate between ammonia and ammonium. Both of which are useable by good bacteria.

Ok so I was able to run some more test this afternoon. I let my tap water set out for 24 hours. No ammonia, no nitrite, and no nitrates.

After not testing my water yesterday I was able to test it again tonight.

Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0

I have basically had the same results everyday I have tested the water this week ( 3 tests total )

What do y'all think?

Also, do I need to do water changes everyday if I'm using " Prime "

Thanks for all of the help thus far. My wife thinks I'm a genius bc of y'all!

Back
Top Bottom