Beta Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Killian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's not really a "Beta problem" more of a problem between my Diamond Tetras and my Beta. I have 1 male Beta (I can't remember what kind he is), 4 Diamond Tetras, 7 Cardinal Tetras and 5 Otos in a 36 gal bow front. Here's the quick back story on what has been going on. About 2 months ago, my first Crowntail Dragonscale Beta - "Darth Beta" - passed away. Everyone had been getting along and the Diamonds did not pick on Darth until he got really sick (it happened very quickly). A few days later, I got "Raine." Raine is much smaller than Darth was and the Diamonds will NOT leave him alone. It has gotten to the point that Raine is constantly hiding and will only come out when I feed. The Diamonds are distracted at that point. I feel very bad for him. About half of his dorsal fin has been nipped off and some of his tail - this was as of last time I saw him yesterday. The Diamonds are not picking on the Cardinals or the Otos.

Anyway, I have made the decision to get a second tank for Raine. I don't have a lot of room (we had to move things around just to get my 36 gal in). What is the best, smallest size to get that Raine will be comfortable in?

I'm going to try to get the tank ASAP but it could be a couple of days due to my work schedule. Is there anything I can do to help him until I get the tank and get it cycled? Also the filter media from the 36 gal will not fit in a smaller filter, can I just put it in the tank itself to help with the cycle?

Thank you so much for the advice! Raine thanks you too!!

A 1-5 gallon tank is sufficient, as long as it has a filter. I once had a beta with Some tetras, but the beta bullied them- I consider betas semi aggressive and not fit for community tanks.

It's actually the reverse in my tank - the Tetras are picking on the Beta

I'm looking at a 2.5 gal tank right now. I'm hoping that it will be big enough to keep him happy. :)

It's actually the reverse in my tank - the Tetras are picking on the Beta

I'm looking at a 2.5 gal tank right now. I'm hoping that it will be big enough to keep him happy. :)

2.5 will work just fine. i would get a small heater and small sponge filter. you wont need all of the media from the big tank, just cut a small chunk of it off and put it in the new betta tank. good luck, glad to hear people caring about their fish :)

2.5 will work just fine. i would get a small heater and small sponge filter. you wont need all of the media from the big tank, just cut a small chunk of it off and put it in the new betta tank. good luck, glad to hear people caring about their fish :)

+1 Aquandrew's advice is sound and I agree about the people caring :)

Back
Top Bottom