Betta and Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, and if you wanted to add some interesting looking fish, you could try marbled hatchetfish

Could I get these with the betta?

I like
Harlequin Rasboras
Neons
Bolivian rams or kribs
Zebra danios
Corys
Otos
Zebra loaches
Cherry barbs
Betta

I already have in another tank
Harlequins
Corys
Zebra loaches
Oto
Neons
Cherry barbs

It depends, my kribs where very peacefull, and didn't bother anything in the tank. In fct, they where actually really shy, but my friend had some and they where pretty agressive and territorial. I say just try and see if it works. If it doesn't move the betta or kribs to another tank, or bring the kribs to a lfs.

Cockatoo cichlids are really nice, my all time favorites are the Red Cockatoo Dwarfs. They can demand a high price though. one of my lfs priced me a pair for 60$! but they are rewarding, and i found them easier to breed than other fish. they aren't bullies, but they aren't sshy either. I would go with them instead of rams if you can find a pair for cheap.

If your looking for Cockatoos, try aquabid.com when i was looking for them, they had alot. I order from them all the time. Basically it's an ebay for fish and aquarium stuff

Found some online for £31.90 for a pair of cockatoos or £17.90 for a Bolivian Ram pair or £13.90 for 2 Kribs (don't know if these are a pair.)my lfs had a pair of kribs but don't know the price
So what do you think is the best deal

Cockatoos, go with the cockatoos, it's a good deal, and you will not regret getting them.

Ok thanks when do you suggest putting them in? I'm currently cycling my tank so how long will I have to wait? and are they compatible with a betta?

Also would I be able to get a Bolivian ram or 2 as well?

Yes they should be great with your betta! I would add the less teritorial fish first, like tetras or corys first, then the betta and then the cockatoos. cockatoos won't buly other fish, they make a little cave or hole into their home and guard the gravel a few inches from it. the ussually won't harm any fish or even bother them if they swim near by. occasionaly the male might come out and put his dorsal fin high to scare fish away from his home, but that's ussually it. i'm not sure if you should put the bolivians in too, since they both have territories. but if it's a big tank, they will be fine, and should live in harmony! you want to make sure to add two or three fish and no more than that when adding fish to the tank, that way. the bacteria can get used to the overload. Oh and make sure to Quarentine, quarentine,quarentine! this will save you alot of stress, hassle, and fish!!!!

Oh yes! 47g is fine! You wouldn't want to house rams and cockatoos in say...a 20g. 47g is more than enough room, and your fish should be absaloutly fine!
As for quarantine......YOU NEED TOO! Trust me, I know from experiance. When i first started, i didn't quarantine my fish cause i didn't have an extra tank to do it in. But let me tell you, i went through soooo many fish by not quarantining! If you don't want to constantly battle with mysterious fish deseases and parasites, then you need to quarantine. Just pick up a cheap empty 5g from walmart or petco and grab a cheap tetra wisper filter or a sponge filter and a cheap heater and your set. that's all the quarantine tank needs to be. the quarantine tank can also be used as a hospital tank, so if you see one fish with ich, you grab it before the whole tank gets infected, place it in the hospital tank, and treat it there. so that way you won't kill any snails or shrimp that you may have in your main tank.

Well, your other tank is cycled right? then just put a cheap tetra wisper in the tank too, and when you need to quarantine your fish, just grab the cartridge from the tetra wisper(since that's where the bacteria will be) and place it into your quarantine's tetra wisper, and there you have it!

Back
Top Bottom