betta breeding?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jorik

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Siamese fighter fish keeps making bubble nests but there's no females only 5 corys should get a female

Betta breeding can be tricky. You need to do a ton of research before attempting. You have to watch diligently and the female must be removed right after spawning or the male will kill her. He may kill her in the courting process.

So should I get 2 females and what about the corys

Betta breeding can be tricky. You need to do a ton of research before attempting. You have to watch diligently and the female must be removed right after spawning or the male will kill her. He may kill her in the courting process.

+1 dude

So should I get 2 females and what about the corys

Neither. You need to research extensively and its apparent you haven't read one single article yet.

Here are some places to get started

http://www.bettatalk.com/breeding_bettas.htm

http://www.bettatalk.com/how_bettas_spawn.htm

And here is a video of one of my successful spawns.

You have to have the capability of housing maybe 50 or more fry individually in heated filtered water.

Also you have to condition them with lots of live food.

Jorik, I get where Ashleynicole is coming from, but out here those in the know share the knowledge. I still suggest you read up before attempting this. Here is how I do it.

First get at least two females. Condition the male and females with live or frozen foods for two weeks. Then the female is fat and has a white mucus plug on the botton then you know she is ready.

Place the male in a large plastic sweater box filled 3/4 with aquarium water. Put in a half of a styrofoum cup cut lengthwise or a plastic coffee can lid. You can also place a few obsticles in there like rocks or fake plants. Give him two day to get comfortable.

nce the male has settled in, pick a female and place her in a mason jar filled about 1 1/2" higher than the sweater box. Place it next to the sweater box. You fill the jar higher so the female can go up where the male can't see her. Once the male notices the female he will try his best to get at her. He should start blowing bubble.

After two days, place the mason jar in the sweater box. The male will really get aggressive and in addition to trying to get the female he should blow a nice nest. Wait no more than two days and keep in mind he will blow as many bubbles as necessary once there are eggs.

Last net the female and put her in the sweater box. Make sure to put the mason jar in the sweater box close to the furthest coorner from the nest leaving enough room for the female to retreat behind or around the jar.

Watch for spawning, it is too cool!!! If you're not sure if they have spawned you can tell by the male getting hyper aggressive and or he will be making trips to the bottom and blowing bubbles under the nest over and over. Either of these is a good indication they are finished. Remove the female. I usually put her back in the jar with metholine blue for a day or so.

Within 24 hours you should see the tiny fry falling out of the nest and the male putting them back in. After three days the male comes out and you have your bettas. Keep the lid on the box after that to keep air and water temp stable. Also, don't feed the adults during the entire process.

Sorry if I came off sounding unhelpful. I just think if your going to post a question at least try to read something about it first. Its hard to answer such a broad question when there is so many variables involved and spawning bettas is not a simple task. Ive done it and I read a lot of articles and asked my questions after doing background research.

Personally, just because a Male betta blows a nest does not mean you should automatically try to breed the fish. Nest blowing is a sign that the fish is healthy enough to WANT to breed. However, there is no law that says it HAS to breed. You can use this as a sign that your fish is healthy and do absolutely nothing about it and the Betta will be no worse for wear. In fact, I highly recommend NOT breeding any Betta that you have unless you are willing to either lose the male, accept that his fins may never look the same after breeding or are prepared to deal with the many post spawning diseases the breeders may come down with. However, you can use the nest (or lack of the nest) as an indicator of the health of your fish.

Betta breeding can be very stressful on the fish so while it's great to have other breeders ( such as the ones on this site, including myself ;) ) give you the "plan" it's best to have a full knowledge of the whole process as time, sometimes, is not always available to save a fish.

Here is an article that you might find very helpful should you decide to continue your breeding endeavor: breeding bettas

Hope this helps

Yeah he is definitely a healthy fish, and yes you could breed him if you are up for the challenge, it's quite cool aswell, you will need another tank, heater 2 females and see witch one he likes, you can move all the other fish in the other tank leeve him in the orginal and try your luck, if you have other fish they will end up eating the fry, you will need fry food aswell, if you move your male in another tank the chances are he might not like it and not make bubbles so I would recommend doing it in the original tank, but if you feel lucky then use the other one, do not put the female in if you want to breed them without no bubbles might not work do it with the bubbles more chance of making dis happen, hope dis helps have a good one !!!

Back
Top Bottom