Betta fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j.marsland12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I came home from work this morning and noticed my betta's fins like this , nothing could attack him as he is housed in a tank with red cherry shrimp. Is this fin rot? If so what do I do?

Attachments

• image-3131842550.jpg
    image-3131842550.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 77
Is there blackening and/or redening on or around the fins?
Is there anything in the tank he could have torn his fins on?

IME, you don't need meds right now, meds will increase his stress level. Keep the water clean and his fins should heal right up. Do daily 25-50% water changes until you see his fins healing up. Then go back to a regular weekly 50% water change schedule. If it looks to be getting worse then consider meds.

I agree with Blert, just do daily water changes and I think he'll turn right around.

I agree with the daily water changes. If it starts getting worse switch to meds. I once had a betta with fin rot, but it turned into a really bad case of swim bladder disorder and she didn't make it. The main reason it got so bad is because I panicked and started doing all these stupid things I didn't have to. Moral of the story is don't overreact too much. Just stick with 25-50% PWCs for now.

If you begin to see whitish streaks where the torn portion of the fin meets the good portion, treat as you would for Flexibacter columnaris. Otherwise, lots of water changes and some aquarium salt will do wonders. See if you can find Indian almond leaves and keep the water between 78 and 82.

David

Back
Top Bottom