Betta Fish community tank Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CandyHouze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My question is simple: what other kind of fish can I keep with my male Betta when I move him to a 10 gallon in a few weeks? I've heard of neon tetras, and I've also heard of sticking a female Betta in there, but I'm not sure of any of these. Help?

The male betta will attack the female in a 10gal. Schooling fish may stress the betta, especially in a 10 gallon. Corydoras and some ottos and a good population of shrimp will do great with your betta.

It just depends on the betta, some have worse attitudes than others. Some people have successfully kept them with alot of different fish, and some people have had to put a divider in because the betta wouldn't stop attacking. :(
As Crepe said, no female+male, he will kill her 99% of the time.

It just depends on the betta, some have worse attitudes than others. Some people have successfully kept them with alot of different fish, and some people have had to put a divider in because the betta wouldn't stop attacking. :(
As Crepe said, no female+male, he will kill her 99% of the time.

Awww, I so much like the idea of getting Duster a little girlfriend x3 but I can move on. Is there anyway I can guess the attitude of him before I try to get him some company? He doesn't seem very aggressive to me, he's never puffed up at me or any person and his tank is inches away from my goldfish and he's never had any trouble with that...

There really is no way to tell until you put something in there. Have you tried putting a mirror up to the tank? Bettas will puff up at things that are more colorful and sometimes bigger. I put my finger in the tank and let my bettas chase it around for exercise, and I also know that I would never never never put any tankmates with two of my guys, as they have major attitudes LOL.

I have 5 corys with my betta in a 10 gallon and they get along fine but like they say it depends on the fish. I don't think my betta pays any attention to anything except me when I have the food in my hand.

I've got four bettas in my community tank. I have rainbows, swordtails, guppies, khulis, and a couple of grumpy catfish. Haven't seen any real aggression towards anyone in there. I've also had a betta in with some neons. He liked to chase the neons, but never caught them.

I have a betta in a 10g with 6 white clouds and they pretty much ignore each other.

But my betta is super calm. When I stand in front of the aquarium he swims over to say Hi. I can even gently touch his back / tail with my finger and he doesn't seem to mind at all.

I would have to completel agree with dkpate as she is the betta expert..haha but its really only up to the fish, ive put a male in a community tank with black skirts, white skirts, gold barbs and neons and it worked out fine

I really do believe it depends on how they were raised. Some people take them out as soon as they are big enough, and some people leave them all together until they are ready to be sold. I think the ones that have been kept together are more community compatible than the ones that have been kept alone.

Back
Top Bottom