Betta fish horror story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFlove91406

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I was up stairs doing my school work when my Little sister came upstairs yelling your fish your fish so I immediately ran downstairs and when I got down there my tank was a disaster my filter was torn apart and floating around in the tank including the little box part of it that's not supposed to get wet add my heater was lying beside the tank on the counter still plugged in and the whole tank was just messed up not to mention Most of the water was out of the tank and my poor beta fish was just sitting there scared in the corner of the tank so I scooped him in a little plastic container and set them aside and put a towel over the container because he was stressed out then I started to clean the tank and I noticed a few little glass pieces with red stuff on it at first I thought it was blood but when I got closer and smelled it I realized it was Mercury from my thermometer so I quickly grabbed my little beta fishes container he was in and quickly made another one with freshwater because the one he was in had mercury water in it and put it in but at least he was safe and I clean the tank luckily the only thing I need to replace is the thermometer the heater and the filter were OK and thankfully my beta fish too

My baby brother got into it he climbed onto the counter somehow and messed the tank up

Not positive about what they put in the thermometers now days but Mercury is silver like a liquid metal and they don't use that for most thermometers now. It is dangerously toxic. So probably just a good cleaning and you could run a pouch of carbon for a week or so.

And a better monitoring of the little climber/tank wrecker. Good luck as some youngsters are fast and pretty busy in the blink of an eye can get into stuff dangerous for your fish and for the little tyke.

The balls are likely steel or something similar for weight. I read colored alcohol goop as the temp line. You could cross check with the manufacturer of the product to be sure.

I think I remember an old thread where this came up and same impression that Mercury wasn’t used anymore. Hoping everyone is doing well.

Yep it's all well and I think u are right about no mercury it's called something else but I can remember the name of it right now but apparently it is also pretty bad

Back
Top Bottom