Betta fish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cocorabbit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, a bit over a year ago, I purchased a koi plakat male betta fish and he has since turned all red. I know that koi fish tend to turn different colours as they get older but his colours have also faded. Is there something wrong with him?

First picture is when I first got him and second is him now.IMG_8614.jpgIMG_8615.jpg

Humans make him look like that its just fading and returning back to how it should look like, u see this alot in man made crosbreeds with plants that they grow back on how they orriganly wear ( sorry for my bad english)

He seems a lot more tired and rests on the plants in the aquarium a lot more. When I first got him, he would flare when I put my finger to his tank but now, he doesn't even flare when I put his tank next to the tank of my other betta, whom flares fine. I've also noticed that his fins seem to be "sharp" looking on the sides? I've added fin treatments to his water but nothing has worked yet. He eats fine and always has.

What size tank, has he been with other fish, how long has he been like this? What food do you feed? The color ain't right. Yes, betta's do change colors, but not like that. Especially when he don't flare when he's put next to another betta, and laying on plants not swimming as much. The fins are fading almost see through and look melted on the ends. Somethings wrong.

Right now, hes in a 3 gallon tank with some pothos plants. He use to share in a divided planted 10 gallon with a half moon betta imported from Thailand, ghost shrimp and a nerite snail. I had to take it down after a couple months though as the half moon betta fish was having a hard time swimming with his long fins. He has looked like this for a couple months now but he used to also have black spots.

I feed him mostly freeze dried bloodworms but once in a while a pellet. I also feed him a bit of pea every couple of weeks.

Is the 3 gallon cycled. Have you tested the water on everything?

None of my betta tanks have filters. I took a water sample to my local pet store yesterday and they did a test. They told me that things looked "normal". They said they couldn't give me the exact numbers? Just that It's normal

Yeah, they can't give exact readings because they probably only did a test strip test. Any water changes? How many a wk.? I'd up the amount of water changes. They need filters(cycled tanks)!! And heaters!!! 80° get a test kit and know your water readings.

Wednesday's I change about 25%-50% and saturdays 75%-100%. I will look into getting a testing kit. Any suggestions on brands? Also, he does have a heater that is set at 23 degrees Celsius

API liquid test kit. How do you know how much and when to change water if you have no test kit..... just because you change water when you change it don't mean the water quality is great again. (Imo) and fin melt takes longer time to heal, it's not like fin rot.

Back
Top Bottom